Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2008 16:00

Possible BIOS problem? Not sure.

A couple weeks ago, I upgraded from a XPS 700 to a XPS 720 and installed an Intel Q9550 after confirming with a Dell tech that they were compatible. Since then I've been getting a message at startup that says "System does not support installed processor", but the message only lasts a second then the system boots normally. Also, when I go into System Properties or dxdiag it says that the processor running is an Intel Pentium III Xeon processor (it gets the clock speed right though). And finally, when I run CPU-Z, it doesn't show SSE 4.1 in the Instructions line like it should. Other than that my computer runs perfectly stable and I can run my games, movies, and other applications without any trouble and I would never suspect a problem if it weren't for those 3 details. Task Manager also shows that all 4 cores are being used. Should I be worried or is it safe to ignore this? I don't want to do an OS re-install or any other time-consuming repairs if I don't have to.

Btw, my BIOS is the Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS VERSION 1.10 A06, the Q9550's Revision is E0 according to CPU-Z, and my OS in Windows XP Professional in case any of that matters.

3.4K Posts

December 9th, 2008 19:00

Hello,

BIOS A07 is the latest version for the XPS 720.

That BIOS will rid you of the error message. You sould follow the required install order for Dell system that I will copy below. Once you get the DSS installed and then the Chipset file, you should be good to go assuming that you have all your latest drivers.

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

***** 1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.
This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page. The DSS or NSS may not be required for some systems that shipped with Windows Vista installed. If your download page has a DSS or NSS file, "It is required".
2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
9. Other Devices
* Bluetooth Module
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/. Input your service tag number to get the required drivers for your system, 'as shipped'.

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

December 10th, 2008 06:00

Thanks for the quick reply, but can you provide a direct link to the A07 bios? When I try to use my service tag the only bios it offers is something labeled 1.4.1, and on the XPS 720 page only the A06 bios is available. Also, is the bios beta? Just wondering, since it's not on the XPS 720 page and I'm always a bit nervous when dealing with bios.

3.4K Posts

December 10th, 2008 15:00

Hello again,

Here is the direct link to the A07 BIOS  for the XPS 720 system.

No, this is not a Beta.

And just to make sure that we are both on the same page, here is the XPS 720 page that shows all the downloads.

December 10th, 2008 18:00

Both pages you link to show only the A06 BIOS. Is the problem on my end? Would I be able to see the A07 BIOS on those pages after I re-install the OS and download all the drivers?

3.4K Posts

December 10th, 2008 20:00

Both pages you link to show only the A06 BIOS. Is the problem on my end? Would I be able to see the A07 BIOS on those pages after I re-install the OS and download all the drivers?

Hello again, :emotion-10:

My mistake twice as I see only the A06 on both pages as you say.

But as for your problem, When you upgraded to 720 from 700, this was a motherboard and CPU swap. Correct?

If so, and I'm not too sleepy tonight, I assume that you used the same hard drive just as it was. Correct?

Again, if so, The DSS and chipset files for the 700 remain on the system, and the new motherboard wants to see a new DSS and chipset combination. Let me know if what I assume here is correct before I compound my mistake further and give bad advise. :emotion-52:

December 10th, 2008 21:00

But as for your problem, When you upgraded to 720 from 700, this was a motherboard and CPU swap. Correct?
Yes.
If so, and I'm not too sleepy tonight, I assume that you used the same hard drive just as it was. Correct?
Yes.
Again, if so, The DSS and chipset files for the 700 remain on the system, and the new motherboard wants to see a new DSS and chipset combination.
I assume not anymore, since I did install the Chipset and the Desktop System Software available on the XPS 720 site which didn't change anything.

December 11th, 2008 14:00

There's a couple more questions I'd like to ask. I didn't re-install the OS after upgrading the processor and motherboard so would an OS re-install fix the problems? Also, do my problems sound serious or are they affecting anything? Thanks in advance.

3.4K Posts

December 11th, 2008 19:00

There's a couple more questions I'd like to ask. I didn't re-install the OS after upgrading the processor and motherboard so would an OS re-install fix the problems? Also, do my problems sound serious or are they affecting anything? Thanks in advance.

Hello again,

I think that your whole issue is related to the Motherboard and CPU change while using the same hard drive install of Windows.

I have no way of knowing if installing a new DSS and/or chipset software will in fact remove the old version. Since Dell writes both of these files ... Maybe not.

The worst thing that I can advise you to do, is to completely reinstall your system, 'just because' there is some issue. :emotion-16:

Many will suggest this as a fix, and I am sure Dell support will tell you to do it just to be able to close their support file with you. You need to decide yourself if what you perceive as a problem is enough reason to 'do the deed'. Do I think that a clean install will fix your problems? Yes to high degree of certainty.

December 12th, 2008 21:00

Well, I guess I'll be doing a clean install after I buy Vista 64 since I've been wanting to get a 64-bit OS anyway. Thanks for your help.

25 Posts

December 13th, 2008 00:00

Do a repair instead of a clean install, followed by the latest chipset drivers from the Dell sight for a XPS 720.  I upgraded my Dimensions E510 using an optiplex 755 motherboard, with an e8200 and 2G's of DDR2, so far so good but I did have a codec problem with windows media player, since the hardware change made windows think I was violating copywrite laws...  if you have something similiar try the site below.

good luck

Captncarb

DRM Migrate EXE - Media Technology

No Events found!