Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 5th, 2013 21:00

Possible PSU Upgrade on XPS 720 H2C

The 720 has a Dell N1000P-00 PSU.  I have measured the dimensions and counted up the various connectors and there seem to be a few replacement options out there, for example the AX1200i Digital ATX. However, the 720 has some Dell version of the nForce 680i LT SLI(C55P) motherboard which seems to require both a 24-pin ATX connector as well as a secondary 20-pin power connector.  Am I correct?  Can someone help me identify a suitable replacement?  The 1200i ATX is lacking a 20-pin so am I out of luck here or can I use some sort of adapter?  Is one of the 1200i's EPS suitable? Are there PSUs with both 24 and 20-pin power connectors?  I have never done anything like this and would appreciate any guidance.

The manual for the 720 can be found here for reference.  Information on the PSU starts on page 143.

Here is a comparison of the N1000P-00 and 1200i ATX

Dell N1000P-00 1000W 24-pin ATX Power Supply Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX Power Supply
Output: 1000 watts Output: 1200 watts
One (1) 24-pin ATX connector One (1) 24-pin ATX connector
One (1) 20-pin connector
Two (2) Large 4-pin Molex connectors Twelve (12) 4-pin peripheral connectors
One (1) 4-pin floppy power connector Two (2) 4-pin floppy power connectors
Six (6) SATA power connectors Sixteen (16) SATA power connectors
Two (2) 6-pin 6A power connectors Six (6) PCI-E power connectors
Two (2) 6-pin 10A power connectors
One (1) 6-pin P14 power connector 
Two (2) EPS connectors

If the background as to why I am interested in replacing the PSU is helpful...

I recently had to swap out my dual Nvidia 8800 Ultras for Dual GTX 570s do to a hardware failure.  Unfortunately I now seem to suffer a sudden voltage drop with the new cards under significant load leading to an abrupt system shut down, no error message, no blue screen, just an immediate loss of power to the machine.  I have tested both cards individually and they preform fine alone it's only in SLI that I experience the crash.  I can manually lower the maximum voltage for each card and avoid the issue but would rather not throttle them.

I don't know if the PSU is failing to provide the proper voltage to the rail (and don't seem to have any way to check, the Dell BIOS has nothing and the N1000P-00 doesn't seem to report voltages) or if I have overlooked something else but at this point I would like to replace the PSU if possible as it seems to be the issue.

Again any help or guidance is helpful.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 6th, 2013 06:00

Ulic

Unfortunately, yes, it is and you are right about the motherboard.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 5th, 2013 22:00

Ulic

The XPS 720 power supply is a Dell proprietary unit, there are no retail power supply equivalent available.

The 1000w PSU was the largest power supply made available by Dell for the XPS 700 series.

Bev.

5 Posts

March 6th, 2013 06:00

shesagordie,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm aware that the N1000P-00 is a Dell proprietary unit.  I also believe that the motherboard is modified specifically for Dell.  If I have to replace the PSU I would rather do it with a new third party unit for several reasons (my machine is out of warranty, I prefer to have the flexibility and features a third party unit would provide, up to date and future support for the unit, etc.)

Even if there is not a retail equivalent is there not a retail unit that would work?  Is my only option to replace with a refurbished N1000P-00?

Thanks again.

5 Posts

March 6th, 2013 07:00

Ugh... Why Dell, why?

Thanks again.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 6th, 2013 07:00

Ulic

:emotion-21:

Bev.

5 Posts

March 23rd, 2013 09:00

If anyone is interested I purchased a replacement Dell PSU from a third party (Dell wanted to overcharge me for a refurbished 750 W and refused to believe I had a 1000 W which they said they couldn't replace anyway). Everything is working now so it was some failure with the original PSU. Thanks again.

Just for the record if you do have to go through a third party for this sort of thing in the future make sure to specify what I assume is the revision number as well as the model number.  You'll find it marked "Rev" on the hardware.  Many sites don't specify anything but the model number on the website so you'll have to inquire directly before a purchase.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 23rd, 2013 10:00

Ulic

Appreciate the heads up.

Bev.

No Events found!