Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 5th, 2015 23:00

Possible memory problem

My family's xps 8500 starting having problems tonight out of nowhere. It got a blue screen which i did not get a look at while merely browsing the internet. after it restarted it got stuck on the "windows is loading files" progress screen. restarted again and went to safe mode to look at the event viewer and the blue screen came up again and i took a picture of it which i attached. i ran the dell diagnostic on the next restart and everything went fine until the memory part which brought up several errors. i took a picture of the final screen but the forums only allow one attachment so ill type it:

Error Code 2000-0122

Validation 122720

Msg: Memory errors detected. Limit exceeded. Additional errors will not be resolved.

Technical Support will need this information to diagnose the problem.

Please record the above Error and Validation codes.

I tried to reboot again and got a message that said something like "there is not enough resources to boot" (that is far from a direct quote, i cant remember the exact message). i opened up the side to make sure nothing looked fried or out of place and it looked fine (i also took a picture if anyone wants to see it). i didnt touch any parts and blew out some dust and closed it up and tried to boot up again. the power came on but nothing came up on the screen and the computer beeped 4 times repeatedly (apparently means memory problems). This computer is just a hair over 2 years old and shouldnt be experiencing these problems as its used only for web browsing and storage of pictures and music. please help!

1 Attachment

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 6th, 2015 04:00

Hi Wec123,

Error 2000-0122 indicates a possible RAM failure. Remove your memory modules and put one of them back in. Then try starting the system. Try them one at a time until you locate the bad module.

11 Posts

April 6th, 2015 15:00

Will do as soon as I get home. Does it matter which slot i test the ram in? If one works and the other doesn't, is it safe to use the computer on only 1 stick of ram until I can get a new one?

I'm not sure if it's worth mentioning, but I remember having a similar problem with this computer when it was practically brand new. It was under warranty and the phone rep I talked to had me do the same thing to test both sticks of ram. Both worked individually, then everything was fine when they both were back in. He told me that it happens occasionally, but does anyone know if dell has recognized this defect and if they've made any effort to replace any faulty components they've sold over the past couple years?

11 Posts

April 6th, 2015 20:00

So I booted just fine with both ram sticks individually in both slots and ran the windows memory diagnostic on standard with no errors. When I tried to boot again with both stocks installed I got the message I eluded to previously "No physical memory is available at the location required for the Windows Boot Manager. The system cannot continue". Right now I have just 1 stick in and I'm running the advanced scan in the windows memory diagnostic. Will post results but let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 8th, 2015 16:00

Yup, that's pretty strange all right. Please let me know how the extended scan went.

11 Posts

April 8th, 2015 19:00

The extended scan is getting stuck at 21% on the first pass, 10% complete overall. Got it to boot (for now) with both modules but haven't tried using it normally yet. If it doesn't start magically working I don't know what to do next.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 9th, 2015 17:00

Unfortunately, it's not possible to narrow the problem between a RAM failure and a motherboard failure. Could be either. If it were my money, I'd buy two RAM modules and see if that resolves the issue. Your XPS 8500 has four slots. A pair of 4GB modules from Crucial will run about $64. If the RAM does not fix the problem, they'll take it back.

11 Posts

April 9th, 2015 18:00

its windows 7. this all seems very involved but i guess ill have to do whatever i can to fix it. ultimately its very clear that dell sold us faulty equipment. ive never had ram or a motherboard or any other component break in 2 years time. the warranty expired after the first year and even if we paid for the extra year warranty that would have expired a month before the problem appeared. im going to try talking to customer service even if they tell me to go fly a kite. we just shouldnt have to buy this stuff all over again. in the mean time ill try to get through this dang scan. it was at 89% last night after going for 6 hours then we had to shut it down to go to bed. ill post an update at some point.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 9th, 2015 18:00

What version of Windows?

Your BSOD identifies fltmgr.sys as the possible offender. If you do a Google, you'll see lots of posts about BSODs and fltmgr.sys.

Some say it's related to issues with ESET anti-malware software... 

What happens if you install both RAM modules, then clear BIOS by removing motherboard battery and pressing / holding power button for ~30 sec before reinstalling battery and rebooting?

What happens if you reboot with both sticks installed in Safe Mode?

Have you run diagnostics and chkdsk /f on the hard drive?

There's a Win 7 hotfix specifically / only for the Stop 0x00000050 which is reported in your BSOD. So if this is Win 7, read carefully and decide if you want / need this special hotfix. And be sure to download the right version (32- or 64-bit) depending on what OS you're running.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 10th, 2015 13:00

Hi Wec123,

Computers are no different than other machines. Parts fail. It does not mean you were sold defective equipment. Replacing RAM modules is very easy and relatively inexpensive. And unlike hard drive failures, which are far more common, you don't lose any information. 

11 Posts

April 12th, 2015 16:00

I ran the extended windows memory diagnostic, chkdsk, and the dell pc checkup full scan and stress test. all came back with no errors. so far the computer is behaving normally so i dont know whats going on. maybe if it crashes again ill try buying new ram. im a little scared to mess around with the motherboard battery, im just not very experienced with this stuff.

No Events found!