Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

December 5th, 2003 14:00

Power Startup Hiccup

I have a 2 month old Dim 8300, win xp pro system. I use an APC UPS to run power from and also use it to turn on the the power to the computer and monitor. I usually turn on the UPS, and a few seconds later, turn on the computer (depress its power button), etc. Shutdown is performed in reverse, I shut down windows, the computer/system turns off and I then turn off the UPS.

I have noticed recently, that when I first turn on the UPS, the computer starts to boot and then quickly stops (it should not do anything). When I then turn on the computer (depress its power button), it starts normally. Subsequent operation is also normal.

Do I have a problem with either the UPS or computer?

Thanks,
Harvey

1.1K Posts

December 5th, 2003 16:00

hgratt,

Go into the BIOS of the system and make sure that the option for auto power on is disabled. Then go to the Power Management section and go to AC power recovery and make sure that is set to off.

1.1K Posts

December 5th, 2003 17:00

hgratt,

There is also power management in the BIOS and that is where you need to go to set this option. Check back in the BIOS again.

1 Rookie

• 

115 Posts

O.K., found it. The options were set as follows:

Suspend: S3
AC Power Recovery: OFF
Low Power Mode: DISABLED

I also just spoke to an APC tech person who said this was not unusual and happens in his home system. He stated he had heard of this before. His answer about this was pretty complete and quite fast, so I don't think he was just spontaneously making it up (but who knows?).

Anyway, could this be "normal"? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for your help,
Harvey

1 Rookie

• 

115 Posts

O.K, Auto Power in the BIOS is already Disabled.

Under Control Panel/Power Options I only see 4 tabs (power schemes, advanced, hibernate and ups). None appear to have an AC Power Recovery option. I should point out that I'm using the APC supplied PowerChute software and using a USB connection for communication from the UPS to the computer. Also, under the Power Options UPS tab, the win xp service is not running (it does appear to have an entry for the APC device). I kept it disabled since I thought having the APC software running was sufficient and would avoid any potential conflicts.

Have I missed anything?

Thanks,
Harvey
No Events found!