Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 9th, 2015 00:00

Power Supply Compatibility Question

Hi!

Tomorrow my new Dell XPS 8700 is arriving. I opted for the model with the Intel i7 4790, 8 Gb RAM and 1 Tb internal HD.

In the meantime I have ordered a few upgrades - specifically a 128 Gb mSATA drive, an additional 1Tb internal HD, and a Gigabyte GTX 960 overclocked edition.

Currently I am having concerns that the stock PSU might not be up to the challenge - and am shopping around just in case. I've come across one at an incredible price and have two questions for anyone here with experience in this area:

1) Will the Dell installed standard PSU handle the above additions?

2) If not, is the below compatible both the machine and the Haswell architecture?

www.tigerdirect.com/.../item-details.asp

Thanks so much in advance for any and all help!

1.2K Posts

March 9th, 2015 22:00

Welcome to the XPS 8700 club !

The XPS 8700 OEM power supply will be fine with a GTX 960.  No reason to upgrade, even if you add the mSATA and an extra HDD or two.

The mSATA drive will likely use less than 5 watts additional, and The HDD is maybe 10 watts max. 

And, as far as that PSU, it looks like it is made by andyson, and that is not a manufacturer I've heard great things about.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/351015-28-will-andyson-make-good 

I'd stick to Seasonic, some of the higher Corsair's or Silverstone, and research them before investing.

No Events found!