Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 17th, 2012 11:00

Power problem with Dell Inspiron One 2310

Hi, 

I have a problem with my Dell 2310 computer, as far as I can see the power supply has burned out or something similar. Lighting blue indicator on power cable indicates that the power delivery is okay, but power indicator on the on/off key does not react.

I suspect that the power supply has burned out and needs to be replaced, I hope that a replacement is available on the spare part list and needs hits about how to verify properly whether my preliminary diagnose is correct. I don't see any reason to suspect problems with other componentts like motherboard, memory, HDD etc. 

Grateful for tips about how to verify my hardware disgnose.

Kind regards,

Axel 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 18th, 2012 04:00

Hi Axel,

Sorry no one responded. This is a user-to-user forum. We don't arrange for warranty service. You need to contact Dell tech support in your country.

33 Posts

November 17th, 2012 12:00

To add some more information  ....  It would be possible to buy a new computer, for example a Dell Inspiron One 2320, the succedor to 2310. Among other things, the newer 2320 contains an Intel i5 processor (the 2310 contains an Intel i3).

I have a licensed upgrade from the original delivery of the Windows 7 Home Premium (preinstalled) to Windowws 7 Ultimate N and licensed Microsoft Office Pro 2010, I also upgraded memory from 4GB RAM to 8GB and replaced original system HDD (750 GB) to 2TB.

A new 2320 could then be stripped from memory as well as HDD and I could mount them from my old 2310, indeed simply move everythilg at my system disk to the new one simply by move the HDD.

What will happen? Will it work - there are minor differences regarding motherboard, BIOS (Computer ID) and processor - so I wonder to select the best way. It would be analoguous by restoring the new computer from a full system backup, taken on the old computer. Or is it a an better idea to reinstall all software and copy all data to the new one? A time-consuming task I dare.

Is there someone having experiences here from performing such actions in replacing a failing (crashed) computer with a new one from the same vendor with a slight model upgrade - in my case from Dell 2310 to Dell 2320?

Grateful for thoughts on this to make the least cost consuming and most effective task in this mission. I am somewhat desperate and need to solve this!

Axel

33 Posts

November 18th, 2012 02:00

This computer was delivered on Dec, 12th, 2010 and is covered by a three year warranty in Sweden according to the swedish law. More than one year remains on the warranty time.

It is obvious that we have an electrical problem in this case - the computer doesn't indicate any power and the problem is not located to the power supply as this part is mounted on the power cord and delivers 9,5V (130W) to the computer.

The full diagnose should be made by the DELL and the failing parts should be repaired or replaced.

What happened is soley that the computer while up and running suddenly gave a sharp and loudly "POFF" and then got black and dead. No other equipment seems to be concerned, the internal power solely vanished without any, to me, visually locatable reason, I have never seen a similar behavior earlier on a computer, but with electrical systems in for example cars and elder radio and TV equipment (catode ray).

Grateful for a contact with the Dell company, who can help me with actions in this matter..

Axel

33 Posts

November 18th, 2012 05:00

Hi Osprey!

Yes, I know, but some DELL technicans also participate here to help.

Indeed, we have weekend now and there are no office hors availanble until Monday. But I wanted to have my case documented and - if possible - commented by others!

Let's see what happens tomorrow!

Kind regards,

Axel

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 18th, 2012 13:00

You are right, there are some Dell techs that participate. But since this is a service issue, sometimes a call gets faster results.

I'm very sorry about the problems you're having. Must be frustrating!

33 Posts

November 18th, 2012 14:00

Many thanks for your kind share of thoughts. Yes, it's frustrating and I got damned when this suddenly happened with no obvious reason. Now I am running an 11 years old DELL Precision 330 Workstation, upgraded with 2GB RAM and running Windows 7 Ultimate.

So let's see if the newer computer can be repaired or replaced under the warranty cover in soon

March 17th, 2016 09:00

Hi Axel, I'm finding a similar problem with my PC. It'd be really helpful if you could share with me how you resolved this issue. There was a "POFF" and the computer went blank. It refuses to come back alive. Although the power cord still has the blue light on indicating that it's fine, the power button just keeps blinking. There are no reactions on the display. Please help me.

33 Posts

March 17th, 2016 15:00

It is four years ago....... But as far as I can remember the reason was a burned SATA cable to the HDD and I got it replaced on the three years hardware warranty. But it was not simple to diagnose.

I I had knew that I had redpaced the SATA cable myself. 

Hopefully this helps! 

Kind regards, 

Axel

No Events found!