Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 4th, 2010 22:00

Power supply and motherboard connector question

I recently installed a BFG GTX 285 OC video card and knowing I'd need a larger power supply if I wanted to install another one I was looking at the cables from the motherboard.  What I noticed are two things:  1st, it looks like it's going to be incredibly difficult to get the old power supply out and, 2nd, there are two 20-pin power connectors on the motherboard.  Searching on the net, I couldn't find any power supplies that have two 20-pin power connectors.  Is that something that Dell and only Dell has for their BTX format motherboards?  I couldn't see where the 2nd 20-pin connector led exactly, but my guess is that it's leading back to the power supply, though I haven't determined that because I didn't want to basically dismantle the PC to find out at 2 AM.

I guess my questions are:  Is this something that I can only get from Dell?   Does anyone know if perhaps that 2nd power connector doesn't lead all the way back to the power supply, that maybe there is an adapter or something under the motherboard?  Is there an relatively easy way to get the power supply out?   To remove the power supply, it looks like I'll have to remove the hard drives and their enclosures, which in my rig, is a very tight space.

My computer configured as follows:

Dell XPS 700

Intel Core2Duo E6700 2.66gHZ 1066 FSB processor

4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM @ 667mHZ

EVGA Killer NIC Xeno Pro network card

BFG GTX 285 OC 1GB video card

Windows 7 Ultimate

Thank you in advance,

Invex

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 5th, 2010 03:00

HERE

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

is the Dell manual and it does show the two power connectors.   According to the manual there are two power supplies that were supplied with this model, a 750 watt or a 1000 watt model.  Are you sure you need more power?

40 Posts

March 5th, 2010 13:00

fireberd

Thank you!   That document answered all of my questions.  My manual has the "Inside View of Your Computer" picture but not the power supply pin assignments picture.  So it does have 2 power cables coming off of the power supply.  Not having to dismantle the machine to find this out is great and I thank you for the information.

Currently, no, I do not need more power.  I only bought one of the new video cards though because I didn't know if two of them would fit since I have a sound card and a Killer NIC card.  Two cards will fit and if I wanted to add the second card I'd have to up the power to at least 1000 watt.  The other consideration is the power supply itself.  While it's running now, it is over three years old and could quit at any time.  So that is a concern.  Hopefully Dell still has some of these power supplies lying around if that should happen.  

Again, thank you for your help !!!   :emotion-2:

Invex

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 5th, 2010 14:00

You can find Dell 750W OEM power supplies for the XPS700 here and here, for $60 each, including shipping.

As always, check part numbers, compatibility and warranty before purchasing. :emotion-5:

Ron

40 Posts

March 8th, 2010 20:00

Thanks Ron.

I need to check to see what kind of power I'd need if I wanted to add a 2nd BFG GTX 285 OC card.  I think 1000 watts should be enough.  I wonder where I need to look to find the SLI bridge though?  Not having much luck figuring that part out

Invex

40 Posts

March 8th, 2010 20:00

Thanks Ron
No Events found!