Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2010 10:00

PowerDVD DX Update has stopped Blu ray Disks playing

PowerDVD DX has just updated itself to v 8.3.5714 on my XPS 8000 fitted with both DVD and BluRay RE drives. After doing this it will no longer play Blu ray disks. It still plays DVDs on the Blu ray drive so I dont think there is anything wrong with the drive. It just gets stuck saying it is loading. If I skip to Home it recognises the name of the Blu ray loaded.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this ?   thanks

2 Posts

January 30th, 2010 09:00

I still haven't managed to get this version to work. There are some other threads around which indicate that the old version that Dell has bundled with their machines causes a lot of problems. Also I dont have the program on a disk to reload which has solved similar problems for other people.

I have since downloaded the trial version of PowerDVD9 from the Cyberlink website. This works absolutely fine so its definitely a software problem.  Unfortunately I'll soon be at the end of the trial period so will probably end up paying $90 to stick with this version.While this is pretty annoying, I will at least get support from Cyberlink if I need it (hopefully)

3 Posts

January 30th, 2010 09:00

I have the exact same problem.  Put the BD movie in, PowerDVD started automatically then asked to download an update.  Updated to 8.3.5714 and since then it won't play BD, only DVD.  It stays at the "Loading..." screen or if I play a DVD first and leave PowerDVD open, then insert the BD move instead it sees that the disk is Blu Ray but details like Runtime, Aspect Ratio etc. are "Unknown".

3 Posts

January 31st, 2010 11:00

I managed to get it working.  I had originally installed PowerDVD DX 8.3, which I got from "My Dell Downloads" (the CD shipped was an earlier version).  I decided to reinstall this version, which uninstalls prior to reinstalling.  After I did this I put in the blu ray move again and this time I didn't get a pop-up asking me to update like the first time.  Instead the entire screen was a dark red background asking me to update from the cyberlink website (I can't remember the url now).  So I went to this url and it installs an ActiveX in IE8 then downloads the update.  The updater looks the same as the previous one that didn't work and I think the same file is downloaded (around 58MB).  While this was downloading I closed PowerDVD and removed the blu ray disk.  I'm not sure if that made any difference.  After the update was installed I put the disk back in and started PowerDVD (it didn't start automatically) and sure enough the move played.  I watched the entire movie through my LCD TV vi HDMI with the XPS on AC power and didn't notice one stutter or any problems, which was a pleasant surprise.

5 Posts

February 15th, 2010 06:00

I contacted Dell Support Chat.  They were able to get onto my system, uninstall the old version of PowerDVD DX and downloaded the new version for me.  The new version is 8.3.1.6107.  The also saved the download for me into My Dell Downloads and I was able to copy the new version onto a DVD.

1 Message

February 15th, 2010 12:00

I have the same problem and I downloaded bluray advisor which scanned my xps laptop 1645 and said that my machine which I just ordered from DELL (Dec 2009) to play bluray disks lacked both the most recent driver for the radeon mobile 4600 series  graphic card and the HDCP. Should  I download the new driver for the card or reinstall the POWer DVD player? Wuill either of these fix the problem with HDCP and if not how do i fix that?

thanks

No Events found!