Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2011 13:00

Precision 380 goes into power save and won't come out of it

My precision 380 workstation will normally turn on and let me login but after a minute or so it goes into power save mode and I can't bring it out of it.  I have to unplug it and leave it a few minutes before it will boot back up again.  The power light is blinking orange.  I have the power settings set to always on but that hasn't helped.  Any suggestions?

14.4K Posts

February 28th, 2011 17:00

If the power light is amber and green or steady amber  —  A device might be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed.

• Remove  the memory modules. See "Memory."
  • Remove l any cards. See "Cards."

I would suggest you remove all the memory and cards like it mentions. Then power the system on. I should make beeps as you dont have any ram or cards in it.

If the power light is now a steady green, power down and start adding in the parts one item at a time.

You can find your system manual HERE 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

for more help.

2 Posts

March 1st, 2011 06:00

Thanks.  I had a look in the manual but it doesn't give me a lot to go on.  The light is actually flashing amber constantly once it goes down.  This is what I found:

If the power light is blinking amber  —

The computer is receiving electrical power, but an internal power problem might exist.

• Ensure that the voltage selection switch is set to match the AC power at your location (if applicable).
  • Ensure that the processor power cable is securely connected to the system board.
No Events found!