Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2012 04:00

Precision 390 gives single Chirp then Icons repaint properly.

Sometimes the rendering of web pages in my Firefox browser falls back to a minimalist representation - coloured icons are lost, tints and fills rendered as black and white. My Dell precision 390 workstation has an NVIDIA Quadro FX 550 driving a pair of 22inch 1680X1050 monitors at 60Hz.

My system can spontaneously recover. I hear a single chirp - very short perhaps half a second, starting at a high frequency and dropping. (Think of the Star Wars blaster sound but speeded up...which was a frequency dispersed wave from an initially triangular waveform where the highest frequencies arrive first and the lower harmonics catch up.) A fraction of a second later my desktop does a full repaint. Refreshing a Web page causes a repaint with full graphics icons etc.

I suspect the FX550. System is running Windows XP SP3  Sometimes a recovery is associated with my messing about in the System Properties> Hardware>Device Manager which may be forcing a device driver to reload for the graphics card. P{erhaps some hardware acceleration is failing to start?

Any help or suggestions appreciated. I have an alternate FX550 card on order ( a PNY) so may be able to investigate further soon.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

February 8th, 2012 05:00

Make sure you are testing the Dell FX550 driver on our video card. When the PNY comes in, test the retail driver on it.

3 Posts

September 17th, 2012 04:00

Wow. Doesn't time fly? I replaced the Quadro 550 and I still have the squeek.

On restarting the PC or on return from hibernation I get degraded performance with icons not painting, and the most noticible effect is in Firefox web browsers.

here is a sample from my GMail page.

and here is as it appears after the squeek, back to normal after a page refresh....

The squeek sounds like this:

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3515/3288.Memo.m4a

(thats an audio capture from an iPhone4,)

Sometimes the squeek is so brief as to be no more than a click. Can happen any time from 2 to 20 minutes after PC restart. Graphics once reestablished are never subsequently 'lost' again.

has me baffled. Is there an icon 'service' of some sort that graphics accelertion provides, which is failing to start?

Thanks

3 Posts

September 17th, 2012 10:00

Oh, I forgot to mention that when the squeek happens, the complte windows desktop repaints spontaneously just once, but regions inside the web browser don't change until I ask for a refresh.

No Events found!