Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2011 09:00

Precision 390 splash screen loop

I recently did a hard power off during boot because of a disconnected monitor. 

Now the computer starts with the Dell splash screen as normal.

After that I see a "Windows did not start successfully." screen.

No matter what mode I choose(safe mode, last known configuration, or normal) the windows splash screen comes up, begins loading, but then loops back to the Dell splash screen.

I'm guessing that a Windows file was corrupted.

Any suggestions how to get back up without reinstalling Windows? I have the original Windows XP disc (though it's service pack 2 and I'm on service pack 3)

Thanks in advance for your help.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 30th, 2011 15:00

Hi Headofbus,

Try a repair installation of Windows XP.

13 Posts

December 30th, 2011 17:00

Thanks for your response.

I tried that but got the following screen:

The partition is either too full, damaged, not formatted, or formatted with an incompatible file system.

I think this was because I had upgraded to Win XP Service Pack 3 from the SP2 version on the Dell Windows disc.

I have access to another computer in case I can use that to prepare a SP3 XP disc.

What would you suggest now?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 31st, 2011 05:00

Run the Dell diagnostics on your hard drive by booting to the drivers and utilities disc. Let's make sure the hard drive is ok.

13 Posts

January 1st, 2012 20:00

Thanks I tried that and it found some problems with the drive.

Error Code 0F00:0244 Msg: Block 25681228: Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

I tried to use the Recovery Console via my Windows CD but was not getting a cursor.

I made a SP3 version of my windows cd and ran into another problem.

When booting off the CD, before getting any selections I get the following message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Stop: 0X000007B (0XF78D2524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I think the next step is to run chkdsk but I can't seem to access DOS.

What do you suggest?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 1st, 2012 21:00

headofbus

Error Code 0F00:0244 indicates a failing/failed hard drive, you need to replace the drive.

Bev.

13 Posts

January 9th, 2012 12:00

Thanks for the help.  I bought a new drive & installed Windows from my Dell CD.  I then upgraded it to SP3.  After doing this I was able to load the old drive as a secondary drive.  I tried cloning the old drive but it failed due to the bad sectors.  Same problem with File and Settings Transfer Wizard.  It appears that the bad drive sectors are all in the windows area of the drive as I was able to copy the other folders to another drive.  Now my question is, is there a way to copy programs and settings from the old drive (manually or not) to the new drive, or do I need to reinstall everything? Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 9th, 2012 13:00

headofbus

If the 'Old Hard Drive' cannot be cloned, then you will need reinstall windows, drivers and programs on the replacement new hard drive.

Bev.

13 Posts

January 9th, 2012 14:00

Thanks for the quick response.  

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 9th, 2012 14:00

headofbus

:emotion-21:

Bev.

No Events found!