Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

March 6th, 2005 13:00

Precision M70 - Quality of display: not so happy!

Hi there!

I got my M70 recently. Concerning the LCD quality, I expected something better comparing to what I have seen on other laptops, especially on a dedicated graphic mobile workstation.

I have a WSXGA+ screen. It seems to fully comply the specs (found in http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/wsM70/en/ug/specs.htm#wp1052326) that came online after I bought the machine, that is to say 100° vertically and 130° horizontally. Is that not quite poor or am I too demanding?

UltraSharp they say! It seems that DELL has many Ultrasharp versions. The 1905FP desktop display is Ultrasharp and has 170° viewing angles. So why not the same specs for the M70's Ultrasharp? Thx DELL for the trap!

How can one know the manufacturer of the screen and its employed technology without dismantling the display?

Do someone know what the LCD suppliers are and what the best screen is (best viewing angles, contrast and color vibrance) including WUXGA ?

Thx!
/Pascal.

649 Posts

March 8th, 2005 21:00

The 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA) UltraSharp screens made by Sharp & Seiko Epson seem to be consistently outstanding.

8 Posts

March 9th, 2005 07:00

I have made some measurements and it seems that I have a vertical viewing angle of 10/30° and not 50/50° as specified.

Waiting for my sales rep. to call me back for the changing of the LCD with a in-the-specs WUGXA ;-)

8 Posts

March 23rd, 2005 21:00

As a matter of fact, after some search on the Net, manufacturers seem to have different definition of viewing angles. At least, it must be measured in the center of the screen and on white color, which makes my measurements invalid.

I gave a call to the technical support and the guy wasn't able to tell me the reference number of my screen, nor its manufacturer. Without any severe malfunction, the Technical Support is not allowed to proceed the exchange of the screen. I have to send a registered letter to the customer support whenever I want to change it.

Finally I decided to dismantle the screen. Difficult operation. I have a Samsung LTN154P1-L04, which complies with the DELL's specs.

After correcting the color transfer function by editing the curve and setting 3 control points (my values: (0;0) (0.5; 0,35) (1;0.8)), the image is now much better: now the light grays do appear, the white color (when viewed in front of) is less warm, the colors are more vibrants. The counterpart is that the global luminosity of the image decreases. However this does not solve the viewing angles, particularly on the horizontal line where the colors become quite tinted in yellow/orange (too much in my taste). For comparison, this color degradation is also visible on the 17" X-Black screen of the SONY A317M I have recently seen but not so strongly.

Side by side, the Samsung screen backlight (white fullscreen image, no color correction) is much warmer than my old I8000's one (UXGA IBM made). Placed beside my 19" IIyama Vision Master Pro 450, its temperature seems a bit less than 6500°K but higher than 5000°K. After color correction, it looks a little higher than 6500°K.

Samsung LTN154P1 specs:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/TFTLCD/NotePC/LTN154P1/LTN154P1.htm
Unfortunately, technology (like VA, PVA, MVA, ISP, etc...) and backlight's temperature are not mentionned.

Under RivaTuner, the reported EDID is SEC3150. Powerstrip (Options > Monitor information > Options combobox > Read data from stored EDID) reports the same EDID and Seiko-Epson as the manufacturer (which is obviously strong - unless it is the manufacturer of the internal controller bought by Samsung).

mac_fly37 told me he has a WUXGA in his M70 and SEC3155 as EDID: certainly a Samsung screen too. It may be the LTN154U1, which has exactly the same specs (except the resolution of course).

In conclusion, I'm going to keep this screen. Don't want to have more headaches with DELL's support.
No Events found!