Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

June 29th, 2016 20:00

Precision & SM951 NVME SSD. Using UEFI, on USB created from Microsoft d/l windows 8.1 and 10: "No bootable devices"

I have a Precision t7600 with A12 BIOS.  Asus hyper PCIe card installed with SM951 M.2 NVME SSD.

Currently the system runs flawless, booting from (2) RAID0 sata in LEGACY BIOS mode.

I installed the NVME on ASUS-HYPER PCIe card.  System recognized the SSD right away.  SSD  formats, copies, passes windows tool tests.  Yay - fun and fast.  Ok now I would like to boot from this fast SSD.

I physically disconnect mechanical SATA drives, from the system.

Create usb-thumb windows 8.1 install, and attempt to install to NVME SSD.  After the system partitions the SSD, I click "OK".  The first cycle install operating system to SSD - good.  The system reboots gracefully.  Normally after this step, system SHOULD NORMALLY boot from the drive and continue to install.  On MY system, will fail at this point:

"No bootable devices--strike F1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics."

If I leave the USB thumbdrive in, it will automatically boot from the install USB and recycle the windows install from START again - and do this for eternity, instead of booting from the brand new install to the NVME SSD.

--

Going on day 3, really frustrated.  I can NOT get this system to take an install, in the UEFI, on the SSD.  I tried windows 8.1, windows 10 and Ubuntu 16, same problem each time.  I recently updated BIOS from A10 to A12.  I have tried to use RUFUS procedures to create the thumb-drive boot / iso image.  Tried different utility "ISO2DISC" which seemed to do the same thing as RUFUS, and provide me with same result.  I skipped those hack utilities - installed win 8.1 and win 10 directly from the Microsoft download site to the USB drive, which provides same fail result.  Tried same procedure with Ubuntu - same fail result.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated to help me trouble shoot from here, please.  

3 Posts

June 30th, 2016 13:00

The BIOS will show "windows boot manager" as a UEFI device (the SSD), as #1.  #2 boot device is the USB thumb drive.  If I proceed to boot from this point, the UEFI SSD fails, and system defaults to the USB thumb drive, recycling the install from scratch, again.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 30th, 2016 13:00

When it says Strike F1... did you press F2 and look in BIOS setup to see if that drive is first in the boot sequence?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 1st, 2016 08:00

The Dot NET components and F6 Drivers are not native to windows 7,8, 10 nor is INTEL RST.   Windows 7 has INTEL Matrix Storage Manager 8.9 by default but requires INTEL RST 9.6 or higher to install drives larger than 80 gigs and newer than 2011.   F2 sets SATA OPERATION to AHCI.   CTRL I opens the BIOS Raid menu if enabled.

The Control panel add features to windows requirement remains REGARDLESS of whether or not its windows 7 or 8 or 10.   Earlier versions of windows used an EXE installer aka XP and Vista.

INTEL RST DROPS support for chipsets as they go along requiring you to install OLDER Versions of INTEL RST for Older chipset versions.

Some systems require 9.6 , 10.1,  11.0,  12.0, 13.0 drivers and wont work with the latest 14.xx.xxxx WHQL Driver.

With NVME there is

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise NVMe (Intel® RSTe NVMe) RAID Driver

Version: 4.5.0.2123 Date: 3/29/2016

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25771/

To all the posters who say its NOT F6 drivers note that this is INTEL's description of the driver due to support going all the way back to XP.  Windows 7 and later can have these files extracted to the root of a flash drive to be setup during partitioning of the drive.

Optional: one of the following F6 Driver Diskettes (depending on your operating system):

f6flpy-x86.zip - for 32-bit versions of the operating system
f6flpy-x64.zip - for 64-bit versions of the operating system

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/search?keyword=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25165/

Other Versions

11.0.1012   (11.7 Drops support for ICH7)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20868/

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20104/

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/15251/

Pre-Installation Using the "Load Driver" Method.

1.  Extract all driver files from the F6 Floppy zip archive.

f6flpy-x86.zip - for 32-bit versions of the operating system
f6flpy-x64.zip - for 64-bit versions of the operating system

2.  Select a USB key media and copy the following extracted files:
    iaAHCIC.inf, iaAHCIC.cat,
    iaStorAC.inf, iaStorAC.cat,
    iaStorA.sys, and
    iaStorF.sys

3.  For Microsoft Windows OS*:

- During the operating system installation, after selecting the
     location to install Windows, click 'Load Driver' to
     install a third party SCSI or RAID driver.

- Continue to step 4.

4.  When prompted, insert the USB media and press Enter.

5.  Follow the prompts and browse to the location of the installation
    files.  Select the appropriate .inf file (64 or 32 bit).  If a
    supported controller is detected there will be no error message.
    Follow the prompts to continue and complete the OS installation.

Failure to load the F6 drivers will result in the following message.

3 Posts

July 1st, 2016 09:00

I am not getting a failure message at first initial install.  I have tried loading Samsung NVME drivers on install many times.   I will try again using the link you provided.

I spent yesterday trying to install a Linux operating system to the drive, with no success.  The device will list in the UEFI boot list after initial install.  Same result - system hangs on boot & reports no operating g system.

At this point I am exploring a BCD / GRUB boot loader, to boot from legacy SATA RAID, and point to an installation on the NVME to run Windows.

No Events found!