Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2014 08:00

Precision T1500 and WD 2TB disk not compatible?

Hi, I have installed a Western Digital Black WD2002FAEX (2TB) hard disk as a data disk on my PC. The computer takes along time to boot and when it does it can't see the new disk. The BIOS (the latest version) doesn't see the drive either. I can connect and use the drive via a USB adapter, so the drive does work. I had to use the USB connection to format the drive and I hoped this would help - it didn't. Is the T1500 unable to support a drive of this size? If so, is there a workaround for the limitation? Many thanks

6 Posts

February 26th, 2014 12:00

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. 

It's a 2TB data disk not the OS and I can only access the disk via a USB adapter and not by SATA.  The BIOS cannot see the disk and it's the latest version.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

I thought you were booting to it and it was taking a long time.

So, you have the disk's SATA cable connected to which port on the motherboard?  You have a power cable connected to the drive from the power supply, as well?  When you go to the BIOS Setup (F2) and enable/turn on that port, what does the BIOS show for that drive?  Unknown?  Drive info?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

It is not a limitation of the computer - if it works at all (even if intermittently), then it is not a "hard" limitation - you should make sure the BIOS is up to date for maximum compatibility though.  Did you clone your OS to this drive? or move it from another system?

6 Posts

February 28th, 2014 03:00

Hi, The problem was found to be a faulty SATA cable. The Dell Precision T1500 can support a 2TB HDD. Many thanks.
No Events found!