Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 8th, 2011 23:00

Precision T3400 With Win 7 64 bit keeps rebooting despite changing motherboard

I have a Dell Precision T3400 running Windows 7 64bit with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor, 8gb memory, 3 hard drives totalling 2Gb, a 525W power unit, Geforce 9800 GT video card and Soundblaster XFi Music audio card. Its a basic workstation for  my studies which i use to run virtual workstations running on other operating systems. The workstation has run perfectly for at least six months then started blue screening intermittently.

Initially i thought it might be a virus so have run several scans to no avail, It started getting worse so i have checked hard drives and memory, nothing. 

It then started power cycling into windows with the LED lights 1,3 and 4 lighting up indicating "A possible system board resource and/or hardware failure has occurred"  "A possible system board resource and/or hardware failure has occurred" I was on Bios A11 and downgraded to A09 after reading about rebooting

issues with A11. It still blue screened.

I ran a full diagnostics test, tested all the memory sticks individually, and am just running with one brand new 2gb stick, nothing. I have detached all connected devices including the DVD drive, audio card, 2 hards drives, all usb devices, nothing. It still does not boot up

I have now replaced the motherboard and am running on a single 2gb memory stick with the single bootable hard drive. It slowly boots to the windows screen, and then blue screens  to swiftly for me to see what the problem might be. On reboot the system gives you the option to repair but does not find any problem. On reboot it blue screens and goes through the whole process again.

I have attempted to reinstall Windows but it is excrutiatingly slow getting to the setup screen so i doubt the issue is with the Operating System. I have run out of ideas and would appreciate any suggestions

Thanks

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 9th, 2011 19:00

Did you reset the Bios Setup to Defaults? In Advanced set these and retest -
Hyper-threading = On
Multiple CPU Core = On
SpeedStep = On
Limit CPUID Value = On

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

December 11th, 2011 15:00

Hi, thanks for the suggestion but it hasnt made any. It still blue screens, reboots, attempts a repair and then goes  through the whole routine again. I'd appreciate any more suggestions.

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

December 11th, 2011 23:00

Forgot to mention, the processor information advises that the CPU is not Hyperthreading capable

159 Posts

December 12th, 2011 15:00

I had an issue once where a T3400 kept on randomly rebooting (never had a BSOD though).  I never did figure out that it was a power supply issue until it suddenlty would not boot at all.  So that could be the issue with your system.

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

December 13th, 2011 11:00

Well, that's all i've got left to test but the power unit is only 5 months old. Unless its faulty i can't see the problem being insufficient power as it is still rebooting when all the components are detached. Unfortunately can't test until i get a new unit. I'll update then. In the meantime if however anyone has any other suggestions ...

1 Rookie

• 

17 Posts

December 13th, 2011 23:00

OKay, the current situation, i was able to determine the blue scree message:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut doen to prevent damage to your compluter

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drived or hard drive controller. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run chkdsk /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart computer

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A9928,0xFFFFFFFFC0000034,0x000000000000000000,0x00000000000000)"

I then took out the hard disks attached them to a different PC, ran a complete virus scan and chkdsk and found nothing. I then put them back into the T3400 and again it blue screened.  In the bios, Under SATA Operation I changed from RAID Autodetect /AHCI to RAID Autodetect /ATA and low and behold i was able to get into windows for the first time, however all times of errors came up

Runtime error! c:\windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe has been terminated

Unknown software exception (0x400000015) occurred in the application at location 0x400000015)

It then logs into a black screen as it is unable to locate the c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop

and then creates a paging file as a problem has occurred with the paging file configuration when i started the computer

When i go into my computer only two hard drives are visible.

When i reboot and change back to RAID Autodetect /AHCI in the bios the PC goes through the whole blue screen routine. BTW all three hard drives are visible in the BIOS.

7 Posts

April 21st, 2014 09:00

It is my understanding that when you change the bios from RAID Autodetect /AHCI to RAID Autodetect /ATA your system may not recognize the operating system at all.   I tried that on a laptop and had to reintall the operating system to get it too work.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 21st, 2014 10:00

If you can boot in ATA or  AHCI mode and you don't want any more STOP 7B you can set back to the mode that it works in and Run the Microsoft utility to enable the generic SATA Driver.

If you are not able to boot either way its because you swapped the hard drive from a non precision workstation.

STOP 7b means you chose AHCI instead of ATA but did not load the F6 drivers.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

In BIOS, in the Drives — SATA Operation, you can change from the default RAID/AHCI mode

to RAID/ATA mode (not Legacy mode), and Windows setup will now work.

This error occurs in both Windows x86  and Windows x64, even with SP2 slipstreamed. 

After you use the BIOS setup of a Windows 7-based computer or a Windows Vista-based computer to change the Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA) mode of the boot drive to use either the Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) specification or redundant array of independent disks (RAID) features, you receive the following error message when the computer is restarted: 

STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE

No Events found!