Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 20th, 2014 18:00

Precision T3400 follies

I was the proud owner of a Precision T3400 up until last week.  The power supply died and I decided to replace the older one with a nearly identical refurb.  Since the configurations were very similar, I thought I could move the data over with little effort and continue using the T3400 as my airgap backup machine.

I have a strange problem which I can't seem to nail down.  The original T3400 was connected to my U3011 monitor for about 2 years with no issues.  When I received the replacement machine today, I cannot make the replacement T3400 work with this monitor.  When I connect the video out, as soon as I put the power cable in, the power status light turns yellow, the fans go to full speed and the computer will not boot.  Connected to a cheap 19" phillips monitor, the power indicator turns green and the computer will boot and display video.  I have duplicated this with two different video cards, the original NVS290 and an FX380LP by PNY.  Both cards will output DVI video on the Phillips, but both cards display the same yellow power status light behaviour when connected to the U3011 monitor. using DVI input  The U3011 works fine with my T3600 and both DVI inputs display correctly.  However, trying this new T3400 with either DVI input or either video card gives the same result except one time I had to remove the memory chips due to a beep fault which cleared after I reseated the chips and connected to the Phillips monitor.

What baffles me is the length of time I used the original T3400 with all the same video equipment and had no problems and now this situation seems to be the new normal.

Anyone have an idea here, I am stumped.

2 Posts

December 12th, 2014 21:00

Thanks for the 2 replies but I resolved the problem.

Issue 1 was the Orange Light of Death on my original T3400.  I replaced the original power supply with a Corsair OEM which was recommended somewhere else on the board and the computer booted with the original equipment re-installed.

When I connected the computer to the U3011 monitor, the light went orange again.  I removed the power cord quickly and replaced the DVI-D cable with a DVI-S spare and the computer booted normally.

My opinion is there was a short in the DVI-D cable which took out the original 375W power supply. According to a power supply recommendation chart I should have been running a minimum 450W so it was likely on its last legs.

The other issue was the replacement T3400 refurb which I bought and later handed to a family member.  The BIOS in the refurb was A08 and once I had updated that BIOS to A13 it was able to use the U3011.  The A08 BIOS only seemed to work with a 19in LCD.

After all that fuss I am just glad my T3400 is back to normal operation.  I have always been pleased with the performance of the unit and it's been solid for nearly 5 years now running 24/7.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 21st, 2014 07:00

Fans running full speed no post solid amber = Bad motherboard.

No Events found!