Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 19th, 2016 08:00

Precision T3500, two Arctic F8 80mm case fans lowered temps from 81C to 70C

Hello,

I just replaced the stock CPU in my Precision T3500, going from an e5520 to an x5660.  Both CPUs will heat up beyond their TCase values, 72C and 81.3C respectively, when using the stock passive Dell copper heatsync.  Is there an active heatsync available for this system?  The OEM heatsinc setup uses female bolt downs instead of the standard male ones.

Also, I'm noticing a 5C difference between my coolest temp core and the next coolest temp core and an 8C spread between my coolest core and my hottest core.  Is this normal?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

1 Attachment

April 20th, 2016 21:00

Hello Chris,

I received two Arctic F8 80mm case fans today along with a molex to 3-pin fan adapter.  The difference in thermal performance is profound.  I've attached four pictures, one of the fan box, one of the back of my case, one of the inside of my case, one of the molex adapter, and an updated thermal profile.

With the latest test, after installing the fans, the system seemed to stabilize round 70C.  Although, I only let the test and monitor run for about 15 minutes.

I hope this cooling method helps others.

Thanks,

Rob

1 Attachment

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

April 19th, 2016 13:00

I do not have any data on "expected thermal profile". There appear to be two heatsinks, T021F low performance CPU's, and U016F high performance CPU's. Unfortunately, there are no notes dictating what CPU goes with what heatsink. What heatsink do you have?

April 19th, 2016 16:00

Hello Chris,

I have the copper heat-pipe style Dell heatsinc (high performance).  Unfortunately, even the performance heatsinc isn't able to shed heat fast enough to keep my CPU cool when running Prime95.  I've purchased two 80mm fans to attach to the back of my case but those are not going to be as effective as an active heatsink.

Thanks,

Rob

40 Posts

April 30th, 2016 03:00

I have couple of t5500 workstations using xeon E5620.

Ambient temp is 30°c.

I have tested both type of dell heatsinks and don't see any advantage of the performance heatsink over the normal one.

Using prime 95 cpu temp is same your both type of heatsinks.

I m using halnziye hy880 thermal paste.

I will test it by attaching a small 40-50mm fan to the heatsink in a fashion so that it *** air through it and will update you.

I have one question is he place where you installed two fans supposed to have fans? Any part number?  They look to be for fans but I don't have any fan there.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 3rd, 2016 12:00

On 5500's and 7500's there is a different arrangement with Fans on Risers. Where he put the fans the holes are already there.

If he had a riser it would still work he would have to put the fans on the outside and the screws out the back to hold them on.

No Events found!