Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 3rd, 2012 13:00

Precision T7500

I will finally receive my brand new T7500 from day to day. It will arrive with a 1TB HDD that I want to replace with an SSD (120GB). I searched everywhere for a well-tried recipe that would allow me to copy-move-replicate the content of the 1TB on the SSD exactly as it will be when I receive my machine. Unfortunately, no one could provide me with a firm answer. All answers included at least a small portion that was theoretical (e.g. here's how you should do it, but I never did it myself). Again, my preference would be to replicate the 1TB as it is. If for whatever reason this is not possible or if you can convince me not to do so, please indicate me how I could at least copy the original hidden recovery partition so that it can still work correctly (with the F11 key combination) when transferred on the SSD.

In case this is of any help, I bought Acronis True Image 11. But this was just to find out that this version had very poor reviews and that it would not apply to my case since the source and destination hardware was different (HDD vs SSD).

Thanks in advance

Mr Bricole

14.4K Posts

January 3rd, 2012 18:00

To use acronis you might need the plus pack for an additional  cost.  I doubt that very much of the1 TB drive will be used. The issue will be the recovery partition. What you will need to do is once you get the system look at the partitions and see how much of each is used. If the total is more then the 120gig of the SSD then you will have decision in what you want to do, such as just copy the main partition or just forget.

The general consensus of adding in a SSD as a boot drive is to do a clean install of windows to the drive so that window will properly configure itself to the SSD. I just added a  120 gig drive as a boot drive to my system and did a Clean install. You would be surprised as to how little the windows install uses.

No Events found!