Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 24th, 2016 12:00

Precision T7600 Thermistor

I am having a heck of a time finding any information on this.  I have a Dell T7600 Workstation.  Here's what I am experiencing:

When powering on the machine, all fans spin up to full speed and will not slow down.  It is quite loud. I ran the onboard Dell diagnostics and I quickly determined the "ambient thermistor" was not operating correctly.  Even immediately a fresh boot and sitting for days without power it reports the the ambient tempature to be 127 degrees C.  

Dell diagnostics reports this error code: 2000-0314, Validation 75225 and 107812.

The only thing I've found online was was to clear the CMOS which I tried without success. The machine has the latest BIOS firmware revision installed. This makes me believe the ambient thermistor is non-functional/defective. 

As a work around I can change the fan speeds in the BIOS.  However, I feel this is an unacceptable long term solution.

Can someone please tell me where to find this sensor and how to correct the problem?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 25th, 2016 05:00

There's a front-panel I/O block - I'd bet the sensor is built into that (it is on the OptiPlex 7xxx and 9xxx series).

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 24th, 2016 15:00

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

July 24th, 2016 15:00

On most of these (and similar optiplex models) it's behind the plastic front grille and in front of the metal chassis.  It usually connects through a wiring harness to the front of mainboard.

Check to make sure the wiring harness is plugged into the system board.

If it is, see if it's a separately replaceable part (usually it includes the front USB ports, etc.).

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 24th, 2016 21:00

Sounds like the sensor is broken.

7 Posts

@ejn63 - thanks.  This seems to be the best possibility so far. I'd suspected this might be where it is - I've already reseated both front panel connectors in my effort to troubleshoot. I'll look into it and report back.

7 Posts

Thank you for responding.  However, this is not the ambient thermistor.  This is for the HDD thermistor. I'd already found this thermistor and disconnected it for testing.  In this case the HDD thermister changed from reporting a temp to "n/a".  The ambient thermistor continued to report out of range temps.

7 Posts

August 31st, 2016 19:00

This was it. I bought a front IO panel on ebay for $20 and the problem went away as soon as it was installed.  The system is so quiet now and I get proper temp reporting.

Sorry for the delay in responding.. took awhile to buy the panel and then find the time to put it in.

No Events found!