Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 3rd, 2017 09:00

Primary Display setting on Dell Precision Workstation T3620 not working

Hi.

The BIOS/UEFI  settings for Video - Primary Display - are not working.

My machine, shipped by Dell (not from a reseller) few days ago is equipped with the following components:
CPU: Xeon E3-1245v6 with Intel HD 630 graphics
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000

The BIOS/UEFI firmware allows setting the Primary Display, in case more than one GPU is available. Within the "Video" section, "Primary Display" subsection the following options are available:
- Auto
- Intel HD Graphics
- NVIDIA HD Graphics

Setting the primary graphics to Intel does not have any effect. Nvidia is still being used for graphics output during the boot process.

Am I correct when assuming a BIOS/UEFI fault here?

Cheers,
Christoph

Edit: To clarify - Intel HD works properly once the Nvidia card is being removed from the system. I've been also replacing the Nvidia card with a much older (PCIe 2.0) AMD Radeon card. Same result here - only the AMD card is being used, in spite of Intel HD being selected as the primary display.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 28th, 2017 15:00

It is working as designed. When a discrete video card is added to the PCIe x16 slot, that discrete card is automatically the Primary and the monitor should be connected to it, not the onboard video out ports.

5 Posts

October 24th, 2017 18:00

Updating the BIOS to the current version 2.4.2 still doesn't solve the issue.

It seems like the Precision Workstation T3620 - a business grade PC shipped with Linux - may not be a good choice for running a virtualization setup with PCI passthrough (especially GPU passthrough).

The "Primary Display" BIOS settings, although present in the BIOS, are not even intended to work as expected - see post above.

There are other issues with this PC as well: design flaws in the casing and lack of Bluetooth support:

en.community.dell.com/.../20021361

I definitely don't recommend this PC and actually very much regret buying it in the first place.

No Events found!