Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

April 13th, 2010 17:00

Primary aster hard disk error in new XPS 9000

I got a new XPS 9000 last month.  I have twice received the boot up message "primary master hard disk error" Press F1 to resume. Press F2 key to enter Setup Menu.  Each time I have pressed F1 and windows 7 started up and the PC worked fine.  Is this something to be concerned about.  What should I do??

Thanks

935 Posts

April 14th, 2010 10:00

You might try shutting down your system, removing the side panel and check the power connector and SATA cable on the hard drive. Unplug and plug those cables back into the drive and the motherboard. Also, try running the Dell Diagnostics after powering up and run the drive diagnostics.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

April 14th, 2010 13:00

Reboot and press F12 before Windows starts to load. Choose the Utilities partition on that menu and run the extended hard drive tests. Copy down any error messages that you may get.

This could be a sign of a bad hard drive, so be sure to back up your personal files on an external drive or optical disks asap. And since this is a new system, you should probably contact Dell Tech Support about getting the drive replaced.

Ron

No Events found!