Thuben
1 Copper

Re: Problem using PXE Boot for Optiplex 780

We have the same problem when using Symantec Ghost 8.0.

Odly enough, PXE boot on these machines works flawlessly using WDS (Windows Deployment Services) at least when based on Server 2008 R2.

We have looked at Symantec Ghost Suite 2.5, but as I understand, Symantec still use "3COM Boot Services" for PXE-server.

Raised the issue with DELL, and they say they are working on it.

Soon we will write 2010... 

/Urban

0 Kudos
jploughe
1 Copper

We use Symantec Ghost Suite 2.5, and yes, Symantec still uses "3COM Boot Services" for PXE-server.  PXE Not working for us either and we reported it over a month ago.  (See my earlier post...)   So, If I read your post correctly, it "appears to be a 3Com PXE server/ Optiplex 780" specific issue?

0 Kudos
bbsugar481
1 Copper

We use PXE boot at our company and it works great with the Dell 760 &  780.

A couple of things that needed to be changed in the Bios first:

Make sure that the Multi Core Support is enable- (should be a  check next to it)

Change the SATA Drive Operation to LEGACY

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
cidom
1 Nickel

Same problem...

We have 50 optiplex 780 with GSS2.5 and 3Com PXE server.

bbsugar481, I have tried your settings and it is not working. In fact, I have tried each SATA Operation mode and it is still not working. Are you using 3Com PXE serveur?

Dom

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Chris Pope
1 Copper

I need to correct myself.

Sorry for the delay.

I still haven't heard from Dell on a BIOS update yet.

If you create a bootable flash drive from ghost, you want to use the universal packet driver. I use GSS v2.2 so the newer version may differ. I had issues using the Intel driver on the flash drive. However forcing the console to use the intel driver worked when running a console initiated clone task (go figure :P).

Something to consider for large deployments is installing the console boot partition using the universal packet driver. This way you could centrally install a small image. ship the machines to remote sites. Then manage them via the console.

Chris

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
jakob313
1 Copper

The A02 Bios is now out for the 780, and once installed and booted with the 3COM universal network driver, it worked fine.

Steel Tip
1 Copper

Where is this download available from?? I don't see it available on the downloads under support for the 780. I'm having the same issue with the PXE boot

0 Kudos
jploughe
1 Copper

Looks like they revoked it on or about Wed 2/17/2010 @ 3:19 PM

0 Kudos
Steel Tip
1 Copper

You've got to be kidding me... do you know of another fix for this? Perhaps a bios setting that hasn't been mentioned in this thread? Perhaps a copy of the driver for the new bios that could be emailed?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jploughe
1 Copper

I do have a copy of the A02 release but if they pulled it, they must have found a bug after release...  I doubt the moderator would allow us to give an email address to send a copy of it to anyone... 

You can change BIOS settings all you want--it won't do any good.  Problem is in the PXE boot code itself....back to waiting for those who did not grab it quick enough...

0 Kudos