Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2014 10:00

Problem with installing new hard drive in Optiplex 780

Hi everyone,

So, the law firm I work for recently bought refurbished Dell Optiplex 780 from NewEgg. It worked fine for a few months, then it failed to book. Diagnostics gave a code (I forget the code) that indicated the problem was a hard drive. So, they bought a new 250GB hard drive that I made sure was compatible with the rest of the hardware. It's just a Western Digital 250GB 7200 SATA hard drive.

I connected the 2 cables (1 goes to the mother board, the other is like a ribbon cable that goes into a box with a jumble of wires inside the chassis).

I installed Windows 7 and even Microsoft Office, mostly without difficulty.

Now, a few days later, when I turn the PC on, sometimes it boots properly, but most of the time, I get the message "No boot device". I've tried messing around in the Setup (pressing F12), changing the boot sequence, the types of drives recognized, etc. Restoring the settings to defaults didn't help either. I also checked and re-checked that the cables were connected securely. Sometimes the drive is one of the options in the boot sequence setup, and sometimes it's not there, like it doesn't even see it.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!

-Sean

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 24th, 2014 10:00

The drive isn't new and its failing or the power supply has issues.

The 250 gig size absolutely guarantees that its not new.

3 Posts

April 30th, 2014 12:00

Thank you for responding.

I verified with NewEgg, and the drive is indeed refurbished. However, I opened up another computer, and swapped hard drives. The "new" WD drive works perfectly in a different (slightly newer) PC, but the different hard drive has the same issues in the problematic computer.

Does this mean it's likely a power supply issue? Could it be the motherboard? Or some setting in the BIOS?

3 Posts

May 5th, 2014 11:00

Bump?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 5th, 2014 18:00

What color is the power button when it won't see the boot hard drive? And is it steady or blinking?

• Failing motherboard battery? CR2032 3-volt lithium ion coin cell battery, ~$3 at discount stores.
  • Bum SATA cable?

Could also be failing power supply as was suggested, but I'd consider the other two first, since they're cheaper and easier.

No promises.... :emotion-5:

No Events found!