Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2011 23:00

Problems after upgrading memory on XPS 8100

My XPS 8100 had 6GB (2x2GB, 2x1GB) of memory and it worked fine.  Recently I bought another 8GB (2x4GB) to replace the 2x1GB modules.

However, after installing the new memory, windows 7 reports 12GB installed, 5.96GB usable.

I checked and found posts of other people encountering similar problems. (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19302304/19626918.aspx)

After trying the following: (1) tweaking with maximum memory settings in msconfig  (2) upgrading bios version without finding a "memory remapping" option,

I tried the 3rd most feasible method: reseating the memory, however this is when more problems suddenly showed up:

(1) the computer doesn't boot and beeps (4-4-4-...) after I reseated my memory

(2) I changed the configurations of the memory modules and beeping persists if 4 modules are installed

(3) it seems memory slot B2 is bad, the computer beeps if there's a memory module in it

(4) memory slot A1 has no problem if I put in a new 4GB module but causes beeping if I install an old 2GB module

(5) just filling memory slot A1 and A2 with a pair of 4GB module, it boots, but only showing 4GB installed. The module in A1 seems not to be detected at all.

(6) adding another module in B1 causes the beeping sound too.

So  it seems I must have broken at least 2 memory slots and 1-2 memory modules after reseating.  I find this hard to believe because I grounded myself before installation and the initial installation was fine (it's just the system that couldn't utilize 12 GB memory installed). I did many memory upgrades on various computers before and no such problem ever occurred to me.

Any insights/suggestions? Thank you very much in advance!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 2nd, 2011 08:00

This configuration will not work -
Slot 1 2GB
Slot 2 4GB
Slot 3 4GB
Slot 4 4GB

This configuration should have worked -
Slot 1 4GB
Slot 2 4GB
Slot 3 4GB
Slot 4 4GB

Slot 1 4GB
Slot 2 4GB
Slot 3 2GB
Slot 4 2GB

Slot 1 4GB
Slot 2 4GB

All four should be matching. Either 1066MHz DDR3 unbuffered SDRAM or 1333MHz DDR3 unbuffered SDRAM.

5 Posts

December 2nd, 2011 12:00

Thank you Chris.

Following to the service manual, I used

Slot 1 4GB

Slot 2 4GB

Slot 3 2GB

Slot 4 2GB

This was working for the first time (a few days ago, showing 12GB installed, tough only 5.96 GB usable), but not anymore. It will give 4-4-4-4.. beeping codes.

Now the configuration is

Slot 1 4GB

Slot 2 4GB

But windows 7 only tells me 4GB installed. It seems not to detect the other module in slot 2 at all.

I just verified that all modules (2 4GB modules and 2 2GB modules) work when each of them is seated in slot 1 alone.

It seems the computer now only recognizes module in slot 1 and does not even allow me to put anything into slot 3 or 4 or it will beep. Again I feel it unlikely that I broke 3 memory slots, because slot 1 is still working fine despite the most attempts to insert into it..

Btw, the two 4GB modules I have are 1600MHz but since they were recognized in the first attempt, I assumed it was not a problem..

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 4th, 2011 09:00

* Power the PC off
* Remove the PC power cord from the rear of the PC
* Open the case cover
* Install the ram in this configuration -
Slot 1 4GB
Slot 2 4GB
Slot 3 2GB
Slot 4 2GB
* Close the PC cover
* Press and hold in the PC power button for 5 seconds
* Reconnect the PC power cord to the rear of the PC and power on
* Boot into the Bios. It should show all 12GBs of ram. If not and under warranty, contact Support and get the motherboard replaced

5 Posts

December 20th, 2011 12:00

Hello Chris,

Thank you. However after trying this, I still get the beeping sound when powering on, and it does not boot. I tried to seat just Slot 1 and Slot 2 with the two 4GB modules and it boots, but again I only see 4GB memory installed.

My warranty expired this summer. Do you think replacing motherboard is the only option? Thanks.

No Events found!