Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 10th, 2011 11:00

Problems with Dell Dimension 4600 and new GEForce 6200 512MB graphics card

I recently purchased a new wide screen monitor. As the onboard graphics of my 4600 don't support the 16:9 format I wanted to upgrade with a video card. As far as I can see from the specifications required this card should be compatible - albeit requiring an upgrade to the power supply unit.

I have done the power unit upgrade (using an Arctic Power 500W supply) - works fine. But when I come to install the card I am having major problems:

Specifically, after fitting the card in the AGP slot I can't get any kind of signal from the pc to the monitor. This is the case whether I connect the monitor to the new card, or to the old onboard slot. However, if I remove the card from the computer and plug the vga cable into the onboard slot then I get the normal graphics back. It seems like the system knows the card is there but is not recognising it or it is not sending a signal to the monitor.

I wondered if pre-installing the new card's driver from the website might help but this interrupts part way through the install process  as it does not recognise any NVIDIA hardware, and of course I can't do the install with the card in as I have no picture.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

James.

3 Posts

January 10th, 2011 16:00

OK - it's solved now.

It was just a problem with not being fully snapped into place - it looked like it was but when I took it out and put it in again for the third time it clicked in a way it hadn't the first two.

Thanks.

3 Posts

Thanks  Fireberd - it is set to Auto but it's still not seeing the new card.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

Check the "Primary Video Controller" option in the Setup (F2 at power on).  It should be set to "Auto" so it can detect the new video card. 

No Events found!