Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

CR

March 13th, 2005 13:00

Pulling My Hair Out Trying A System Restore - Constant "Keyboard Failure" Error Message

Further to my earlier post regarding GoBack failure, and receiving a "No Help Available" email from Dell, (it's a software issue), I have attempted to do a system restore.

I have tried this about a hundred times, and keep getting the same message.

I have taken note of the instructions not to press the Ctrl / F11 keys more than once but cannot for the life of me get this to restore.

Any Ideas Please?

Cats R Us

658 Posts

have you ever formatted or changed anything to do with your partition table in any way what so ever???  if yes, then the symantec pc restore feature will no longer work.

If thats the case (dell should be helping you cause obviously your computer is new and within warranty arg).  None the less, if you absolutely can't get that working, call them back and get the drivers and utilities cd. 

Then go to www.windowsreinstall.com and choose the link for instructions/screen shots of what you need to go thru as far as formatting and reinstalling windows from scratch.

Or if you're up to it, call dell back, they'll walk you thru the whole process.  It's not tough, but can be confusing at times, especially with the partitions.

15 Posts

Hi and Thank You for replying!,

I haven't changed anything as far as I know, and the system restore I am attempting is not Norton, but Dell.

I have all the Dell Cd's here, but cannot get anything to work.

I was going to restore the XP operating system, but the instructions say not to do this without Dell saying to do it.

I have just gone into set up and there is an option to load factory defaults which I am not sure wether to attempt or not?

I will give Dell a call and see if they can help.

Regards, Cats R Us

658 Posts

March 13th, 2005 14:00

sorry for the confusion, i realize it's the dell pc restore, but it was all created by symantec for them :)

Thats about the only reason i can think you might not be able to get in there.  I know i've gotten in and it wasn't overly tough, just the same as pushing ctrl alt del except it's ctrl+F11 at the same time.

Wish they had a single simple keycode that people could use to get a menu of all this, instead of all these crazy keycodes.

658 Posts

not open???

if your in the US make sure you're phoning: 1-800-822-8965 and choosing tech support they're open 24x7.

If you're in canada, call 1-800-847-4096 and again choose tech support.  Cx service and sales and most other depts will be closed, but tech support is always open.

15 Posts

Okay,

Tried to phone Dell - Of course they are closed.

Unfortunately they are only open when I am at work!!

Have sent an email to Dell direct - in the hope of getting some help through email reply if possible.

The guy who said it was a software problem, not hardware, said there was no email support available for software problems?

So just have to wait and see if it is hardware/software - entitled/not entitled to any help.

Very close to packing the whole thing up in a box and sending it back to where it came from!!

Cats R Us

15 Posts

Hi,

I'm in the UK and Technical Support is definitely closed for the weekend - that's the Brits for you!!

Cats R Us

15 Posts

March 13th, 2005 15:00

Hi,

No, it's a "Dell Direct Support" email address, I think it is in the UK although it is a .com address.

I got it out of the technical manual under the UK help contacts.

I hope it's right - will soon find out if it isn't.

Thanks anyway.

Cats R Us

43 Posts

March 13th, 2005 15:00

If by dell direct your referring to a "Dell Direct Store" your probably not writing to the correct place.  The Dell Direct stores are sales kiosks, and while the people who work at them are generally very knowledgeable they are not, in most cases, technicians.

March 13th, 2005 16:00

Try emailing Support@dell.com  someone will assist you,

If you're not worried about losing all of your files, find your PURPLE or BURGANDY (Depending on when yuo gought your PC) and all of the blue cd's. Inert the Windows XP ^^^ CD and restart your PC. follow the onscreen prompts. You want to do a format (NTFS Quick) and full reinstall.

After Windows is done, install the following in this order:

Chipset

Video

Networking/modem

Sound

All fact/non fact programs you want.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 13th, 2005 18:00

Cats R Us.

When the Dell screen appears press and hold the Ctrl key on the keyboard, then press the F11 key, then release them both at the same time.
The Dell PC Restore by Symantec window appears.
Make sure you only press the keys one time. If you press them more than once you will receive a keyboard error, and you will have to start afresh.

Did you try to install "Go-Back" on your system?

Bev.

15 Posts

March 13th, 2005 18:00

Hi Bev,

I have tried this at least 100 times. I know I am doing it okay, and it worked first time round when I had a similar problem a month or so ago.

There is something stopping me from doing the restore, but I don't know how to get round it?

I haven't tried to install anything, as I can't get into my operating system.

I have tried to boot from the Norton CD - It doesn't work at all.

Same error message, cannot get past the start up.

AAaaaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have cried a dozen times today - how can life be so frustrating?????

Cats R Us

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 13th, 2005 19:00

Cats R Us.

Just read your post below, seem's that you installed "GoBack" this could have change the MBR, when this happens then the Symantec PC Restore becomes unusable and the only option is to carry out a clean reinstall of XP.

Bev.

March 14th, 2005 01:00

hi, im currently working as a tech support of Dell. Just a reminder, if you will do PC RESTORE, be sure that you have backed up all the important files on your computer, disconnect all other hardware connected to your computer except for the monitor, mouse and keyboard and of course the power cable. Then, as soon as you see the Dell logo, press CTRL F11 at the same time and make sure you release them both at the same time as well. NOTE: If the user hits Ctrl/F11 multiple times, he will get a Keyboard Failure message. This is normal functionality. When you're on pc restore screen, and you are ready just click RESTORE button, then just wait until it completes the process. Just follow the on-screen instructions.

March 14th, 2005 01:00

hi, im currently working as a tech support of Dell. Just a reminder, if you will do PC RESTORE, be sure that you have backed up all the important files on your computer, disconnect all other hardware connected to your computer except for the monitor, mouse and keyboard and of course the power cable. Then, as soon as you see the Dell logo, press CTRL F11 at the same time and make sure you release them both at the same time as well. NOTE: If the user hits Ctrl/F11 multiple times, he will get a Keyboard Failure message. This is normal functionality. When you're on pc restore screen, and you are ready just click RESTORE button, then just wait until it completes the process. Just follow the on-screen instructions.

15 Posts

March 14th, 2005 05:00

Hi,

I cannot back up any files - I can't get in to the PC to do it.

I have disconnected all off the PC.

The Ctrl / F11 function does not work and I can't get to the restore screen.

I will try and have another go when I get home from work tonight though.

I have managed to do this restore function before, and I am sure I am not doing anything wrong this time?

It seems like a total lock out.

Cats R Us

No Events found!