Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 29th, 2013 20:00

Q for Upgrade Graphics Card in Vostro 470 (or OptiPlex 7010/9010 Mini Tower)

I've running my good old Vostro 410 with a newly installed ASUS GTX660-DC2-2GD5 for quite some times .. up until yesterday, the motherboard of Vostro 410 gone dead! :emotion-50:

Oh well, I think, it's time to get a shiny new machine which can last another 4+ year for me (and I can finally benefit from the USB 3.0 support), so I've went back to Dell site and look for info. Eventually, I've pick up couple candidate which won't blow away my wallet but still good enough for my daily activity - programming and gaming. What I'm looking for at the moment is Vostro 470 (yeah, I'm loving Vostro series), or OptiPlex 7010 / 9010 Mini Tower.

However, there's one serious problem just bugging me -- I would like to continue using my Graphics Card since I just purchase that one few months ago: ASUS GTX660-DC2-2GD5. I don't really want to invest another Graphics Card in a foreseeable future ( consider that my previous card is NV 9600GT purchased at the same time of the original Vostro 410 ).

To be honest, this GTX-660 Card is a bit of pain to install on my old Vostro 410 ( the length from back-end panel to the edge of fan chassis is around 256mm, or in the other word, around 10.1" ), I have to move my 3rd Hard Drive to somewhere else in order to have enough space to fit it in, but it works. However, since I have to get a new machine with my old graphics card, my question is -- Could my old card ( ASUS GTX660-DC2-2GD5, Length inside of PC Chassis: 10.1" or 256mm ) able to fit in those newly machines ? It's hard to judge from those picture I found from the Google search, that's why I came back here and would like to heard the opinions.

Thanks for long read!

Please Note: I know I have to replace the pre-installed PSU  with a more powerful one myself. Actually I did install a Corsair 430W PSU on my old Vostro 410 so it shouldn't be a problem as I assume all those mini towers using standard ATX PSU, I guess.

1.5K Posts

March 30th, 2013 06:00

Hi samho,

You my try using the 'ASUSGTX660-DC2-2GD5' graphics card, however, Dell has not tested this card with the aforementioned system. Primarily these systems are mini tower systems, so you should not face any issues in installing the graphics card.

The Optiplex 7010 and Optiplex 9010 systems are shipped with 200W, 240W, 250W and 275W power supply depending on the configuration. You may consider upgrading the power source if your graphics card needs more power.

You may also read through the link http://dell.to/XO6nD8 before you select the system model that you want to buy.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

9 Posts

March 30th, 2013 09:00

Thanks for the information!

However, I did went through the suggested link prior to my original post(thanks for the Google search), and it turned out that the said card (Zotac GTX 660 Ti, which has length of 191.262mm / 7.53 inch) is way shorter than graphics card coming from other manufacturer (ASUS / GIGABIT / MSI / EVGA, all made their GTX-660 or higher card with 230mm or longer ), and even if I am willing to pay for another GTX-660 (which... probably won't happen at all), it would be a Substitute character removed as per TOU> to buy it here ( there's no retailer selling Zotac product in Taiwan so I have to get it import from aboard ). That why I still post the question and hope somebody with those machine could shed some light on me :)

Best Regards!

Samho

1.5K Posts

April 3rd, 2013 07:00

Hi Samho,

I understand your concern. Let me do some research on it.

I'll keep you posted.

1.5K Posts

April 5th, 2013 07:00

Hi samho,

It appears that the card will fit in the mini tower. Everything looks ideal; with an appropriate power supply the system should be able to effectively deal with the graphics card. I tried, but could not find a user with a similar configuration (as desired) who testifies the setup to be functional. Dell hasn't tested it either.

You may want to try using it to see if that works.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

April 18th, 2013 07:00

Does the optiplex 9010 use a standard ATX power supply?  ie can i replace the stock PSU with any standard PSU I were to buy online?  Does the PSU have "normal" dimensions in the 9010.  I also ask as I am likely buying an optiplex and wanted to upgrade the GPU.  Thanks!

April 18th, 2013 08:00

Hi arabiangoggles,

The answers to your questions are as follows :

• The Optiplex 9010 minitower comes with a standard ATX power supply.
  • The maximum RAM supported by minitower system is 32GB DDR3 SDRAM non-ECC 1066/1333/1600 (based on processor)
  • Optiplex 9010 minitower comes with a VGA and a Display port onboard and you can run 2 monitors without a video card
  • A maximum of 2 hard drives will fit in minitower case
  • Yes, you can set RAID mirroring at a later stage.

Please reply if you have any further questions. I would be glad to help you.

April 18th, 2013 08:00

Other quesitons I had about the optiplex 9010 were. . .

1. what is the max RAM?

2. what video outputs does it come with standard? ie hdmi, vga, how many? Can i run 2 monitors without a video card?

3. how many hard drives will fit in the case?

4. can I set up RAID mirroring later if i dont choose it as an option when ordering?

Thanks again!

9 Posts

April 18th, 2013 21:00

For those who is still following this particular thread -- well, I end up buying XPS 8500 instead of Vostro 470 (and to the lesser extent, OptiPlex 7010 and 9010), for various reason. Nevertheless, I thought it is still a good idea to keep it going until someone else could give a confirmed message (such as a photo taken by installed machine or the like), as it would help other people make up their decision as well.

Additional information for XPS 8500 (may or may not help people here) inner chassis layout:

(Original setup after I remove the side panel)

My initial thought was this XPS 8500 is way smaller than my original Vostro 410. Judge from the spec, Vostro 410 isn't much taller (415mm for Vostro 410 while XPS8500 has 406mm). However the XPS 8500 has an curved and taller front panel to make up the height, the actual chassis (beside the taller front panel) has a way shorter height of 374 mm around. So the layout inside is a little bit compact.

As someone mentioned in the other thread, you could really install much longer card into XPS 8500 (there's eough space beneath the metal plate on the right, the entire space of there is almost empty. I even house some cable over there, so my estimate is it may even house a 12 inch or longer card).

Although the position of  PCI-E 16x slot is not as bad as I original thought and could host longer card than my original Vostro 410 (due to the design of hard drive cage in Vostro 410,  virtually limit the installable card length. My 256mm GTX660 just barely fit it ), some work is required. Here's my recommend step to install new card on XPS 8500 (possible work with similar layout machine, I supposed):

1. You could remove the stocked Graphics Card (a short GT 640 card with my initial setup) first.
  2. Then you may have to unmount the stock hard drive (plus 4 screws).
  3. After that unmount the hard drive cage (plus 3 screws).
  4. If you have an additional hard drive want to install, you may want to mount it on the hard drive cage we just removed.
  5. Before install a longer (and potentially wider) card, you may want to make sure all your SATA cable is connect to the SATA port on motherboard -- otherwise it would be a pain to connect those cable after new graphics card installed. ( The time I spend on connect 2 extra SATA cables while graphics card installed is enough for me to unmount everything and mount them back again. ) You may also replace the stocked SATA cable with much longer version, since the length of original SATA cable is way too short after installed a long card)
  6. Install (newer, longer and wider) graphics card. Do remember connect the extra power 6-pin power cable if your newer card require them to power up.
  7. Mount the hard drive cage back.
  8. Mount the stocked hard drive back.
  9. Done!

( Photo taken after I install ASUS GTX660-DC2-2GD5 and a secondary WD Black 650GB hard drive)

Hope it helps!

3 Posts

November 20th, 2013 04:00

I have a Optiplex 9010 with Intel 180 GB SSD (OS and Programs) and RAID1 WD 1 TB (User Data).

I just installed a Antec NeoECO 620C 620W PSU 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031

with MSI N660 TF 2GD5/OC GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127699

and everyhing fits PERFECTLY without any mods to the video card.  I had wanted to install and EVGA GTX 660 but it was 9.5" in length and looked like I'd have to modify in order to get it to fit.  The MSI is 9.25" long and just fit perfectly! 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 20th, 2013 06:00

Don't get an optiplex then.  Get  A Dell Precision Workstation.The Precision Workstation will come with a power supply and Video Slot that will fit the GTX660. The GTX 660 is the first GTX 600 product to only require 1 supplementary PCIe power connection.

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Dell-Precision-T3500-PC-Desktop-Customized-/118438143

No Events found!