Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2017 12:00

Question About SATA Operation for the Dell OptiPlex 755

I got a Dell OptiPlex 755 with a 1TB Seagate BarraCuda hard drive (The latest model in the gaurdian series) with Windows Vista Buisness installed on it (Not the factory installation, but installed with a Dell DVD and the original product key). Anyway, I have a question about the SATA operation in the BIOS. Since there is AHCI (Which is the default), ATA and legacy, I'm not sure which one I should be using. With AHCI, the computer wouldn't boot into Windows. But with ATA or Legacy, it does work. I had it on Legacy for a while, but I'm wondering if I should be using ATA instead.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 2nd, 2017 15:00

From a performance standpoint, AHCI is the best choice -- however, in order to use that, the operating system will need to be reinstalled with the AHCI mode enabled.  You can't change the system from ATA to AHCI without a reinstall.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 3rd, 2017 07:00

You can change a windows  system from ATA to AHCI when running a specific patch without reinstalling.  You have to hack the registry and install INTEL RST.

STOP    0x0000007B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

will occcur if you have not patched.

To resolve this issue, enable the AHCI driver in the registry before you change the SATA mode of the boot drive. To do this, follow these steps: 

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.

2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.

4. Locate and then click one of the following registry subkeys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IastorV
  5. In the pane on the right side, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.

6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

WIN8 or 10 has a NEW Blue screen.  Microsoft isn't fooling anyone that 8 or 10 is better than XP or 7.

No Events found!