Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2008 19:00

Question about stock Motherboard

Hello All

I know I could find this info out by removing the computer panel and just looking, BUT ... I am disabled and unable to perform such a task.  So ... I thought I would just ask you folks here for a little help...

I have a Dell Dimension 9150/XPS 400 that a friend gave me.  I want to drop in my slightly used EVGA e-GeForce 8500GT Video Card.  The card's Interface is PCI-E 16x.

My question is, "Is the Stock Motherboard on this system PCI-E 16x Ready?  Can I simply have someone take off the panel and drop it in?"

Before you ask ... Yes, I have a 750-Watt Delux Power Supply I will be putting in it as well.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

THANX

Dalrock

Message Edited by Dalrock on 05-27-2008 03:19 PM
Message Edited by Dalrock on 05-27-2008 03:29 PM
Message Edited by Dalrock on 05-28-2008 11:33 AM

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

Dalrock

Yes, the 9150 supports PCIe x16 graphic cards, but you will need to install the appropriate drivers.

See here

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

12.1K Posts

The PCI-Express 8500 GT card can easily be installed into that system.  You can have a 8800 GTX card installed if so desired but that card is for gamers.  Your system with either cards mentioned above will not need a power supply upgrade.  The stock 375 watter will handle some of the better cards and will not be taxed by the lower ended 8500 card at all....

Unknown what card is in the system now, but if its a nVidia card then it should be a simple swap then a new driver install afterwards.  If its a ATI card installed now, then someone or you must do a few other simple procedures going from a ATI card to a nVidia card. 

GPU-Z download link [info on the video card on your system if you wish to check it this way]

http://majorgeeks.com/GPU-Z_d5796.html

Message Edited by SR45 on 05-27-2008 04:42 PM

4 Posts

May 28th, 2008 16:00

shesagordie

Thank you for your feedback.  Since the stock Video Card is an nVidia, it should be way easy to replace it with the 8500GT.  Thanks also for the Driver Link.

Cheers

Dalrock

4 Posts

May 28th, 2008 16:00

SR45

Thanks for your help.  The current Video Card is an nVidia 6800 PCI-E x16 (Y U C K).  The reason I went with the 8500GT is it was what was in my old system.  You mentioned that the 8800GTX is more of a "Gaming Card".  Well, thats what I do ... I play World of Warcraft and recently bought Age of Conan.

WoW runs GREAT on my stock DELL XPS 400 9150, but AoC is super laggy.  Everything on the XPS 400 is at or above the recommended requirements for Age of Conan EXCEPT the Video Card.  I hope to see a big boost in performance in the game after I drop in the 8500GT.

Any Thoughts on This?

Concerning the Motherboard and Power Supply...

I don't want to take a chance on the new Video Card not performing at max potential.  Again, I have the 750 Watt Power Supply just sitting in my old system.  I have heard that if you try running the 8500GT through the stock Dell Motherboard, it can lower its performance using the stock 375 Watt Power Supply.

Any Truth to That?

My plan is to drop in the 750 Watt Power Supply and bypass the Dell Motherboard.  By doing this, the 8500GT "should" work at its very best.

Any Thoughts on This?

Thanks in advance.

Dalrock

Message Edited by Dalrock on 05-28-2008 12:09 PM

12.1K Posts

May 28th, 2008 17:00

The stock 375 watter is only the mean average but the peak is over 400 watts.  The 8400  8500 Gt cards are considered lower ended for games, specially Conan so I would recommend at least the 8600 GTS card as the bar minimum or the better 9600 GT card next or even the 8800 GT card.  All will work just fine with the power supply you have.  Many have the better 8800 GTX card with the same 375 watter.

Power Supply Most Often Asked Question......

In many cases, not all, recommendations by card manufacturers and some computer mag's, on how big a power supply should be, is normally based on the maximum possible load of the systems components plus some added head room. Other words over loading one's system to the hills. This will confuse some first timers of this unrealistic high power supply requirements, than buying more than they need, and in some cases buying a power supply upgrade that was not needed in the first place. Read in a mag that the power supply rating is almost like double than what is really seen in real-life applications

Dell's power supply is normally underrated, to read the mean average. Reason for this is that Dell wants to be on the conservative side for those that may over do things with their systems. The peak is much higher, and a Dell system can handle many cards that the card manufactures suggest a higher required power supply. Card manufactures list a higher wattage number than is really necessary for their cards, to be more liberal for those individuals that overload their systems with additional hard drives, optical drives, pci slots filled up. This is normally not for those that have a stock system.

4 Posts

June 3rd, 2008 21:00

SR45

I dropped in the EVGA 8500GT and the computer now performs MUCH better in Worrld of Warcraft and Age of Conan.  I took your advice and left the stock Power Supply in the XPS 400.

Everything with the computer works like a dream EXCEPT my CD ROM.  It has power going to it.  It appears to try and read whatever I have in there (DVD, CD, Program Install Disks, etc), but then it just stops trying to read the disk.  I can try viewing the contents of the disk, but the drive dosn't even recognize that the disk is there.

Any Ideas From ANYONE on what I should do?

Thanks

Dalrock

Message Edited by Dalrock on 06-03-2008 05:26 PM
No Events found!