Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2011 05:00

RAID 0 Failure - What?

Disclaimer: I know nothing about computers, so I'm at sea.

I have a warning on my hard-drive: 'A drive in RAID 0 volume is failing. Try to back up data immediately.'

My situation:

This warning occurred while I was backing up my data in preparation to do a full hard-drive reformat (I've had a virus recently). As a result, my data is fully backed up so if I lose what's on my computer at this point, it's not a problem.

My computer is a 3-year old XPS420, using Windows Vista and my hard-drive is a 1TB Serial ATA Raid 0 Stripe (2x500GB) 7200Rpm Dual HDD config.

My question is this: what do I do? Will reformating my hard-drive as I originally planned solve this problem? Or do I need a brand new hard-drive? I've backed up my data but I have no idea what to do next. I've read the Intel Storage report - but that's fairly meaningless. I've recorded which of the two drives in the array is failing and on boot up I popped into CTRL+I to see the options listed when prompted. However, it's all fairly meaningless to me.

So, at this point, what do I need to do?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 19th, 2011 08:00

Maiden of the Water

You need to check the hard drives for failure, by running Dell diagnostics extended test on the drives, this should show the hard drive that is failing, that needs to be replaced.

The instructions for using Dell's Diagnostics Utility, are HERE

Bev.

29 Posts

June 20th, 2011 04:00

Hi

If you haven't formated the drive yet then try to download the Intel matrix manager from dell website

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

install this software in your system and open the same go for advance mode you can find out what was the problem or you can identify which HDD causing this issue. try to rebulid the failure HDD.

even this doesn't solve your issue kindly rebulid the RAID volume.

Regards

=======

B.Akbar

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

November 28th, 2011 19:00

WOW This is me except I have an XPS-410. Port 0 has failed which I think was the same drive that failed and was replaced when it was in warranty.   So.....I am at the (advanced) matrix storage console and I see the option to create a raid volume, create a raid volume from existing hard drive or scan for plug and play....i see nowhere where it says rebuild??? any thoughts?

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 29th, 2011 11:00

You can't rebuild a RAID 0, as it is a non-redundant RAID level.  Data is striped/distributed across all disks in the RAID 0 with no parity for recovery (like in RAID 5).  When one drive dies, the array is incomplete - missing half its data - and is no longer functional.

No Events found!