Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 30th, 2012 21:00

RAID0 Failure After Installing New Power Source and Card

Hey folks,

I'm having a problem with my Dell Studio 540 after installing a new Roswell 500w PSU and a Radeon 6870.

Basically, now I get a RAID0 Array Failure and my computer cannot detect one of my harddrives (SATA0 - 4 are None, SATA5 is Installed.)

How can I address this problem? I have a feeling it has something to do with my wiring.

Or perhaps my power source is defective, as I smell something faint when it's on. But wouldn't that mean that everything gets friend and NOTHING works?

Appreciate the help!

-CC :D

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 1st, 2012 04:00

Hi ChosenCharacter,

Boot to your Dell drivers and utilities disc and run the diagnostics on your hard drives.

December 1st, 2012 04:00

I don't know if I still have that, this computer is from 2009.

Are you sure this is not a matter with how I'm connecting the power?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 1st, 2012 05:00

You can download the diagnostics from downloads and create a bootable CD or flash drive.

If you want to rule out the PSU, put the old one back in and see if your RAID works.

December 1st, 2012 08:00

I ran the little Diagnostics test that comes with the computer, and everything checked out all clear.

Is there an image of how the wiring is SUPPOSED to look? You see, I unwired and completely forgot how it shows, I even have a completely useless orange wire that I'm unaware of what it's supposed to do.

Also, now SATA1 checks out as installed as well, but there's no difference other then that.

December 1st, 2012 10:00

SAT4 checks out now, but only AFTER the boot, as in, I can't choose to boot with SATA4, only SATA5...

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 1st, 2012 14:00

Why are your hard drives connected to ports 4 and 5?

Since you've got RAID 0 set up, you cannot change the boot order.

December 1st, 2012 18:00

They always were, I never moved the Hard Drives.

As for RAID 0 set up, I had an error which disapeared when I restored to defaults in special options, I'm not sure if this means the error was fixed or this means something really horrible just happened.

In either case, I managed to get SATA5 and SATA4 up and running.

Wait a minute, is the SATA order determined by where the SATA cable (blue and orange) is installed in the motherboard?

December 1st, 2012 19:00

If the answer to the above question is yes, could I possibly know which SATA cable input corresponds to which? I know that SATA2 and SATA3 do not exist on my model.

They are arranged in a square formation, with two being black, one white, and one blue.

Also, does the color of the wire connected matter? And in the original Studio 540, which HDD is the boot drive?

I'm starting to think the Hard Drive itself is broken, how can I create new Boot Drive data on my other Hard Drive?

Okay, I found the documentation. Which SATA do I want my main Hard Drive, which is the one to the left if you're looking from the graphics card standpoint, to be connected to? SATA0?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 2nd, 2012 04:00

If one of your RAID 0 drives has failed, then you have to reinstall the operating system. You can either replace the drive with the same capacity drive and reinstall as RAID 0 or you can simply reinstall on the remaining drive.

I've got a link to Natakuc's clean install guides below, which might be helpful.

My suggestion would be to connect the system drive to port 0 or RAID drives to ports 0 and 1. Then use the Ctrl-i menu to configure RAID, if that's your preferred option.

No Events found!