Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

May 23rd, 2009 11:00

RAM options for studio XPS 435

I ordered a 435T recently. When configuring I foolishly/carelessly selected the 8 GB RAM (4 DIMMs) option, not realzing that it would operate as Dual Channel. Now that I have learned a little more about Tri Channel and realized my mistake, my questions are:

1.  If add 2  more 2 GB Dimms of DDR3 for a total of 12 GB (6 matching DIMMs), would it then be tri-channel?

2. If I simply remove one of the 2 GB DIMMs, would I then be getting 6 GB in Tri Channel? If so, would this perform better than 8GB dual channel? (if so, from which slot do I remove it?).

3. Which option do you think is best? If I go with increasing to 12 GB, any advice on what DIMMs to order  or from where?

Thanks

5.8K Posts

May 23rd, 2009 23:00

My experience is that memory speed and channel mode have little impact on final system performance.  I've measured the difference between single channel and dual channel at only a few percent (on several machines including a D9200) on CPU intensive tasks.  Going from 533M to 667M RAM resulted in a few percent improvement in performance.  Going from 667M to 800M resulted in 0 percent improvement.

Adding more memory generally provides the greatest improvement in performance.  However, with 8G already, unless you have need for very large amounts of RAM, you should be in good shape.

Personally, I would leave it alone.

Peter

No Events found!