Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2009 06:00

RAM upgrade for Dimension 4700

Hi guys and gals

First time poster, hope i've posted in the right place :)

My Dad has a Dimension 4700 and is looking to upgrade the RAM.  A friend has a couple of Kingston 1 gig DIMM's and I was hoping these would work.  The part number is KVR533D2N4/1G (http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR533D2N4_1G.pdf).   I've checked the motherboard manual and it says it supports 533Mhz DIMMs but anyone know for sure if these will / won't work?

Thanks for your help

Matt

2 Posts

December 16th, 2009 07:00

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the chips are at hand but my dad isn't - he is in SA, I am in UK!  He's over for Xmas and wanted to get the RAM whilst here.  As you say, can't hurt to try and if they don't work we can always buy the Dell recommended ones.

Will have a read of your site, thanks :)

3.4K Posts

December 16th, 2009 07:00

Hello,

If your friend has the chips in hand, it won't hurt to install them and see if they work. :emotion-21:

If the system starts, you can run any of a number of free memory tests that can be found on Google. :emotion-22:

The part number you list shows the memory to be 'Value Ram'. This type of memory has a very poor success rate working in Dell computers.  Dell systems are very picky with RAM upgrades as you can see on the memory pages at my Web Site.

No Events found!