Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2008 15:00

RAM xps 730 64 bit Vista upgrade

I currently run my xps 730 with 4gb Ram and 2x 9800gx2 SLi.

The addition of the second card has enevitably changed the amount of system memory available to my OS.

I have been looking to upgrade to 64bit vista in the hope that I can use all of my RAM. But before I do, some advice please.

Will any of the standard XPS components i.e the bluetooth card reader etc install correctly?

Will I see all of my RAM?

Has anyone else done this and had any problems with games or apps? I am a video editor and have checked compatibility with that software. Would just like to hear other users who have upgraded to the 64 bit system.

Cheers 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2008 17:00

MayHalen,

* Go here to see the drivers. Just change the operating system from Windows Vista 32-bit to Windows Vista 64-bit.

* I do not see a CAB-200 Bluetooth Card Reader Vista 64-bit driver in the above list but you could try these -
Vista 64-bit CAB-200 Bluetooth Card Reader icon manager 
Vista 64-bit CAB-200 Bluetooth Card Reader application 

* You will see all of the ram in windows system properties.

NOTE -
* Dell will not support any operating system issues that may arise once you load the 64bit operating system
* Dell will not support any software issues that may arise once you load the 64bit operating system
* Dell will not guarantee that there will be complete 64bit Vista drivers for your PC model
* Dell will only support the hardware through the usage of our hardware diagnostics once you load the 64bit operating system

1 Rookie

• 

139 Posts

Hi MayHalen -

I don't see how you would have any trouble with the XPS componets in switching to 64bit. I cannot speak specifically to the bluetooth card reader, as I never use it and haven't bothered to install the software to run it. 

I installed 8GB of Ram. And I see it in the bios, performance tab in taskmanager, and the welcome screen. So you will see all 8GB. 

I don't really run games... but all the software like Nero, Photoshop, etc. installed just fine.  Most programs get installed to a separate folder called "Program files (x86)" which I believe simply runs the software that is designed for 32 bit systems. There's another folder simply called "program files" which the 64bit programs get installed to. I haven't had any compatibility problems - I've only had Vista 64bit running for about 4 days. But I've been error free in that time. 

If you have any other questions I'll try to answer. 

13 Posts

I suppose all that's left to ask is, will the Dell operating software disc be of any use should I decide to uninstall 64?

1 Rookie

• 

139 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 20:00

I'm not sure that I'm understanding your question. Do you mean that if you install 64bit, and wish to revert back to 32bit, will the Dell 32bit disc work to reinstall it? If that's what you're asking - yes it will work.

Also, you do know that you are able to request a 64bit installation disc from Dell, for free - correct?

13 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 23:00

wish to know if i can revert to 32 using the dell disc, many thanks

how does one go about getting the dell 64 edition?

513 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 23:00

CAB-200 Bluetooth Card Reader Vista 64-bit driver is part of the application that Chris posted.

1 Rookie

• 

139 Posts

October 4th, 2008 02:00

@MayHalen wrote:

wish to know if i can revert to 32 using the dell disc, many thanks

how does one go about getting the dell 64 edition?

Yes, you could go back to 32bit.

You can either call Dell support, use XPS chat or PM Chris from Dell with your service tag and name and shipping address to request the 64 bit DVD. 

See this thread for more info on getting the 64bit version:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&thread.id=76187

53 Posts

October 4th, 2008 04:00

I upgraded my XPS 730 to Vista 64 bit and all the hardware works including the bluetooth/card reader. you can get all the drivers from Dell.

You can request the 64bit OS from Dell technical support, via Online Chat, e-mail or phone. I received mine from them within 2 business days. If Your system is within the first 21 days Dell will even offer to install the 64 bit software for you, but you will need to send the machine back to them. I chose to install it on my own.

I have both the Dell 32 bit and 64bit Vista ultimate CDs and yes you can revert back to 32 bit

The Roxio Dell Premier Software blu ray did not work after i upgraded to 64bit, but I don't know if it work with the 32 bit either becaue I didn't use it so i don't miss it.

Ulitmately you want to use all the RAM you paid for and the only way to do that with 2 GB of Video memory is to upgrade to 64bit

October 31st, 2008 07:00

I just got my XPS 730 Air-Cooled a couple of days ago. AWESOME! I just upgraded the OS from Vista 32 to Vista 64. Everything is ok so far but i have 2 slight problems.

1) The program or whatever it was to change the LED lights on the case is not there obviously, but my question is how/where do i get that back again?? I believe it was the same program that allowed me to change the fan speeds and stuff. I got to that by right clicking the desktop -> nvidia control panel -> performance -> chassis. that was on the 32 bit os, but how can get that back for 64 bit?

2) I installed the 64 bit media card reader driver from the dell website, the media card reader itself works but i dont think the bluetooth is working. I am not using anything bluetooth at the moment nor do have anything yet to try it, but in the device manger under the "other devices" tab it says BT - mini-reciever and has an exclimation point next to it. Any advice on how to get that to work?

513 Posts

October 31st, 2008 13:00

The Blutetooth driver is part of the application software: Clicky<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

The nVidia ESA software to control the lights, etc. is on your drivers disk that came with your computer and is also on Dell's website where you found the drivers.

53 Posts

October 31st, 2008 15:00

You can download the latest version of Nvidia System Tools with ESA support from

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.03.html

That is the software you need to controls the lights, fan, temperature, monitoring etc.

No Events found!