Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2009 01:00

RE:What type of ram is in my computer (Dimension E520)

I wish to install another 1G of ram in my computer - a Dell Dimension E520 bought about 2 years ago - it has an E6300 processor running at 1.8G and according to the parts list I have NECC Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz SDRAM - but out of habit - I pulled one of the existing sticks and wrote down it's details- it is a HYS64T128020HU-3.7-A , when I did a search for this I came up with either 667Mz or 533Mhz - also I found that I couldn't pin down if it was 1GB Hynix DDR2 533-1 G GB PC2-5300 or 1GB Hynix DDR2 533-1 G GB PC2-4200, while I remember that Ram used to be pc100 or pc133 - I am unsure what this means - would someone be able to tell me what sort I have from the chip I.D. (HYS64T128020HU-3.7-A ) or have dell put 667Mhz Ram Clocked to 533Mhz?

Very confused - ross54

675 Posts

January 21st, 2009 02:00

Easiest way I've found to determine not only what you have, but what you should use is to use the crucial.com system scanner:

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/

It'll identify your current memory configuration as well as make recommendations.

And of course, you do not have to buy from Crucial. Many folks take this info then shop around at newegg.com, tigerdirect, etc. I've bought memory directly from Crucial and have been very satisfied.

dg

4.6K Posts

January 21st, 2009 12:00

... of course, you do not have to buy from Crucial. Many folks take this info then shop around at newegg.com, tigerdirect, etc.

The problem with shopping around, is that not all RAM is compatible with Dell systems.  Well certainly not their laptops at any rate.

The good thing(s) about Crucial RAM, is that they guarantee their RAM will work in your Dell system :emotion-55:

It obviously wasn't for my Dell laptop, but I've bought laptop RAM directly from Crucial (UK) myself, and I was very pleased with the service :emotion-21:

675 Posts

January 21st, 2009 13:00

For the record, all of my RAM is from Crucial as well. But I have friends who do builds who spec the RAM out @ the Crucial site and sometimes get the same Crucial RAM at a lower price elsewhere. (Also, I try to stay away from steering people to specific vendors; there's plenty online out there to tell anyone which vendors are good and which are not.)

222 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 11:00

A nice little free program I like to keep around is CPU-Z. It can identify the ram in each motherboard slot and it's speed. The program also gives other helpful info such as CPU model and capabilities, motherboard as well as bios revision number. it's a very handy program.

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

675 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 15:00

Thanks for the tip, slowecsl.  I'll have to check it out.

Another program I find indispensable is the Belarc Advisor, which tell you all sorts of things: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Whenever I make a major change I run new report, pdf it, and save with the date in a folder. That way I can more easily diagnose possible causes if something goes wrong because they're named things like "20090122_InstalledRogueProgram." This is helpful if I need to do a system restore. Overkill, probably, but what the heck...

dg

3 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 16:00

While I appreciate the help - I think that companies or people trying to flog their software or bring in buisness for their employers is not what I would hope is the spirit of the Dell Community - The suggestions about "Crucial" (which didn't give me the answer I was looking for - in fact it didn't even show the clock speed of the ram) was unhelpfull and filled my inbox - annoying - where are the people who knowwhere to find this type of info on the sticks of memory themselves. - The fact is that the information I was looking for was writen on a sticker on the second stick of ram in my computer (I only looked at the first initially - must have lost the sticker) and that was how I found the information I was looking for - thank God that Hynix put thoes stickers on there sticks of Ram or we would all be lost trying to rely on these programs or Dell's incomplete parts list.

675 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 16:00

I learned of the Crucial scanner on this forum several years ago.

Sorry to have "filled your inbox" with an unhelpful response. Forgive me for trying to help.

dg

No Events found!