Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2009 17:00

Ram compatibility

Hey! I keep on having some problems identyfing the compatible ram for my computer. I have a Optiplex GX280 (small desktop computer) 2.66 Mhz. At the moment I have 512 MB on two slots. I want to take those out and buy 3 GB, just that I don't know which type. In online Dell Documentation i've found that it works with DD2 at 400 Mhz and 533 Mhz... but on some other forums I've found only 400 Mhz. 

I'm confused. Can you please help? (Sorry, I'm a computer noob... and a girl :D)

Thanks so much

14.4K Posts

Hey! I keep on having some problems identyfing the compatible ram for my computer. I have a Optiplex GX280 (small desktop computer) 2.66 Mhz. At the moment I have 512 MB on two slots. I want to take those out and buy 3 GB, just that I don't know which type. In online Dell Documentation i've found that it works with DD2 at 400 Mhz and 533 Mhz... but on some other forums I've found only 400 Mhz. 

I'm confused. Can you please help? (Sorry, I'm a computer noob... and a girl :D)

Thanks so much

I would recommend you go to Crucial and get your memory form them. You can see by the info on the page your system uses DDR2 ram in either 667 or 800mhz speed. The great thing about the Crucial ram is that it is guaranteed to be 100% compatible with your system.

Now for the best performance the ram should be installed in pairs so for your desire of 3 gigs you would install 2 1 gig sticks and 2 512 mb sticks.

I would also suggest that if you are going to upgrade the ram to 3 gigs buy all the same ram from the same place so buy 2 1 gig sticks and 2 512mb sticks and remove the dell ram. This will ensure that there is no compatibility issues between the old and new ram

3 Posts

Didn't know about crucial. Nice tool. But... here http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx280/en/ug/specs02.htm it says Memory - Type - 400 & 533 Mhz. Am I  reading correctly or I'm mixing things up?

I am so uncertain because I need an upgrade quite quickly and I don't want to buy smth wrong.

134 Posts

April 23rd, 2009 18:00

Crucial rocks, I would go there every time.....

14.4K Posts

I understand your confusion. I will not that i linked to the wrong optiplex system HERE is the correct link.

As you can see it still lists the 667 and 800 mhz memory. Crucial is well known to be very reliable with memory for Dell products.

I am willing to bet that there was a bios update to allow for the faster ram.

that being said since you want 3 gigs notice that the 1 gig kit has a speed of 667 mhz so you would need to match the  1 gigs sticks to that speed so in your situaton you would get the first listing and the last listing on the page.

5 Posts

If you want to upgrade your ram you can go to the dell tool for memory upgrades, you are not only getting the right memory for your system but also tech support should be able to guide you and help you install it. Try the following links:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/DellPartsFamily.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/memconfig.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&manufact=694&s=dhs&stype=1&family=OptiPlex%20Desktops

3 Posts

April 24th, 2009 03:00

Wow! Thanks, guys!! You've saved me from buying a 400 Mhz, I was almost sure that's the only one that works. I'm gonna get one from the recommandations and let you know how it works.

Thank you again!

No Events found!