Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

June 17th, 2009 17:00

Ram compatible with Dell 531?

I am interested in getting more RAM for my computer. I just want to make sure that what i am looking to get is compatible with my system.

Also, since the Dell 531 has 2gb 667mhz in it, is it bad to mix it up with the 800mhz that I want to buy?

Here is the link of the item I want to buy: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098 Or would this be better? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146526

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 17th, 2009 18:00

kb24nitro

One of the best vendors for memory, that certifies the upgrade to be compatible with your system, has a lifetime warranty and free S&H on orders of $40.00+ is HERE.

Use either their System Scanner Tool, or the Memory Adviser to find the compatible memory.

Bev.

170 Posts

June 17th, 2009 23:00

kb24nitro,

I would go with the Crucial. Go to the site Bev gave you and check what they recommend.

Generally, memory will operate at the lowest speed of the combined memory sticks. It is best to get the same specifications of the memory that is already installed on your computer, speed, timings and voltage.

If you don't have the specs of what is currently in your computer you can try either of these two system info (free) programs. They will tell you exactly what is in your computer now, it's best to match the current memory to insure no problems.

Here are 2 free downloads that will tell you a lot of information about your computer.

They will tell you the number of memory slots, your computers max allowable size of memory board (stick), how many are used/free. What make, model and speed of existing memory currently installed. This will help you select the correct type and speed of memory to buy.

Click Here for SIW is an advanced System Information for Windows tool that gathers detailed information about your system properties and settings and displays it in an extremely comprehensible manner.

SIW can create a report file (CSV, HTML, TXT or XML), 

The system information is divided into few major categories:

• Software Information: Operating System, Installed Software and Hotfixes, Processes, Services, Users, Open Files, System Uptime, Installed Codecs, Software Licenses (Product Keys / Serial Numbers / CD Key), Secrets (Password Recovery).
  • Hardware Information: Motherboard, Sensors, BIOS, CPU, chipset, PCI/AGP, USB and ISA/PnP Devices, Memory, Video Card, Monitor, Disk Drives, CD/DVD Devices, SCSI Devices, S.M.A.R.T., Ports, Printers.
  • Network Information: Network Cards, Network Shares, currently active Network Connections, Open Ports.
  • Network Tools: MAC Address Changer, Neighborhood Scan, Ping, Trace, Statistics
  • Miscellaneous Tools: Eureka! (Reveal lost passwords hidden behind asterisks), Monitor Test, Shutdown / Restart.
  • Real-time monitors: CPU, Memory, Page File usage and Network Traffic.

SIW is a standalone utility that does not require installation (Portable Freeware) - one less installed program on your PC as well the fact that you can run the program directly from an USB flash drive, from a floppy, from a network drive or from a domain login script.

CPUZ  freeware gathers information and download info.

Click Here for CPU-Z is a freeware that gathers information on some of the main devices of your system.

CPU

*       Name and number.

*       Core stepping and process.

*       Package.

*       Core voltage.

*       Internal and external clocks, clock multiplier.

*       Supported instructions sets.

*       Cache information.

Mainboard

*       Vendor, model and revision.

*       BIOS model and date.

*       Chipset (northbridge and southbridge) and sensor.

*       Graphic interface.

Memory

*       Frequency and timings.

*       Module(s) specification using SPD (Serial Presence Detect) : vendor, serial number, timings table.

System

Windows and DirectX version.

Hope this helps,

Dave

PS,

If you are using a 32bit OS it will only use between 3.25GB - 3.5GB of ram when 4GB are installed. This is due to system address limitations, max address is 4GB but other things are using these addresses and the RAM gets what's left. I am using 4GB on my 32bit OS and get 3.3GB useable. For the price of RAM these days I went with the 4GB and will be installing Vista 64bit soon.

On a 64bit OS it will use all of the 4GB of RAM, with a max of 8GB depending on your system. Yours should be the same as mine.

2 Posts

June 18th, 2009 15:00

Thanks for all the info. I went with the crucial.

This Support is better than the Dell Customer Service.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 18th, 2009 16:00

kb24nitro

You are welcome.

Bev.

170 Posts

June 18th, 2009 17:00

kb24nitro,

Your welcome.

You can find a lot of truly useful information on this site, and the members are very helpful. I have gotten help on a wide range of issues here and it's fast.

Dave

No Events found!