Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2010 20:00

Recommend drivers for XPS 700 Sigmatel integrated audio?

Hi,

Just become the owner of a Dell XPS 700 with the integrated Sigmatel 7.1 audio.  The only drivers I can find for this audio card are the ones originally supplied on the Resource CD dated 2006.  These prove to be glitchy with World of Warcraft, with glitches and artifacting being common.

Can someone point me to far more recent drivers for this device?  Dell offers only the 2006 drivers on the website, and I believe Sigmatel were bought out by IDT since the XPS 700 was released.  That's as far as I've managed to get.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

S.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 17th, 2010 04:00

In most cases the Dell supplied sound driver is the correct driver, due to Dell's custom implementation in many cases.  Usually, if a non-Dell driver is used either it will  not work or not work correctly.   However, I wouldn't think the audio would affect video artifacts, etc.  That would be more a video problem. 

As you are apparently only having problems in games (or a game), suggest you repost in the Gaming section of the forum.  One of the gamers may have some help for you.  

Keep in mind the 700 is not a "new" or "current" production model PC.  Dell generally does not issue driver updates unless the device does not meet their published specs.  I have a Dimension E510 which is about the same age as the 700 but it is also a discontinued model and no new Dell driver updates will ever be issued for it. 

Retail hardware vendors do frequently issue updates as their hardware is used in many different systems.  With an OEM vendor version of a product that is only used in a specific product or vendor's products that is usually not the case. 

30 Posts

March 17th, 2010 06:00

"However, I wouldn't think the audio would affect video artifacts, etc."

That's just my poor use of terminology - I was referring to pops, clicks and distortion in audio here.

I'll do as you say and repost in the Gaming section.

Thanks.

S.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 17th, 2010 07:00

Pops and Clicks are another issue if that is also affecting general audio.  There are many posts about that here, on the Windows 7 forum and all over the net.  It's a very common problem but can be hard to chase down.  It can just be the audio is on a shared IRQ (Interrupt) and the higher priority device is causing it, to video causing it, wireless devices causing it, a cell phone or cordless phone too close, etc. 

No Events found!