Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2005 22:00

Recording 4 hour radio show on Dell Demension

Hi,

I just changed jobs and radios are not allowed. I'd like to record the show approx. 4 hours everyday on my Dell computer and burn to CD for listening the following day. Is there a tool bundled with Windows XP that will allow this length of recording? If not what the best software for recording lengthy audio programs

Any ideas will be appreciated,

Dave

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 5th, 2005 01:00

Real Player would have a way of Arciving this to a RA file. Their compression is quite good. However I dont think they offer their server free anymore. You would need to setup a "real media server" and then compress the audio to a huge Real Arcive then burn to cd and listen via real player.

http://www.realnetworks.com/products/codecs/realaudio.html

The Basic version might work for you.

http://www.realnetworks.com/products/producer/basic.html

You could compress using modem playback compatable stream and get ok quality for basic voice audio not music of course that would be Bigger files.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 5th, 2005 09:00

There are alterntives other than RealPlayer.  If the streaming content is "Real Audio" then you will need RealPlayer, if it's Windows Media then you have several other choices.  There's nothing basic that comes with Windows to do what you want.  I don't know of an automatic program that will record, all that I've seen requires manual intervention to start and stop. 

Most of the recording programs for streaming media work off of the "system mixer" or "what you hear" (what you hear on the speakers).  I don't think the basic on-board sound has that capability, you would need a SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS (and maybe a retail version) to get that capability.

I have 5 or 6 different media players on my PC and all require manual intervention (incluidng MusicMatch Jukebox, WinAmp, Creative (soundblaster) mediasource).

9 Posts

December 6th, 2005 14:00

Hi

If you are recording from an actual radio using the audio line in, there is a program called Audiograbber which has a line-in sampling facility which allows you to set up VCR type timer recordings. I use it to record 4 hours worth of radio in the middle of the night. You have to break the times up into 2 hour chunks but it does the job. EG track 1 start 12:55AM for 2hrs4min59 sec, Track 2 3:00AM 2hrs5min etc.

Ady
No Events found!