Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2000 23:00

Recovery CD

I screwed my computer up by using Linux, and ran the Recovery CD to fix it. How is it a recovery CD? It just reinstalls Windows. I thought it would make it just like it was when I first got the computer. However there are two items in the device manager that don't have drivers. One is PCI System Management Bus, and the other is Unknown Device. I don't know what either device is so I have no idea where to get the drivers. Well, I know they are on the resource cd, but what are they?

And where is MusicMatch jukebox? It came preinstalled, but isn't on any cd. Not the resource cd, or the recovery cd, or the sound blaster cd. Where is it?

Thanks for any help.
Eric

September 9th, 2000 23:00

On your hard disk is a file called ZZTOP. If this file is not damaged, you can use it to restore your system to factory specifications.

To access this file, restart your computer in MSDOS mode. Change to the root directry. (C:\). At the prompt, type ZZTOP and follow the on screen directions.

Good luck,

Pat

2 Posts

September 10th, 2000 00:00

The "recovery" cd reformatted the hard drive and only installed Windows. Other than windows there is nothing on the hard drive. So zztop isn't installed.

98 Posts

September 10th, 2000 01:00

The first question is what kind of system are you running?
If its the xps series or the 4100 then this should help.
those drivers your looking for are NOT on the recovery CD......the PCI mgt is from the modem and the Unknown Device is for the Intel chipset. here is the website addy.
http://support.dell.com/us/en/filelib/system.asp?sid=DIM_PNT_P3C_4100&m=l&p=10.

1.6K Posts

September 10th, 2000 02:00

When ZZTOP is put on the hard drive at the factory as a non protected 'hidden image'. It's life expectancy is expected to be a month or less and it's put there is case of catastrophic problems in a new system. ZZTOP would allow a new system to be taken back to original factory specification. A reformat, the adding or deleting of a bunch of programs, or any number of other things eventually corrupts or destroys the image.......

Cowboy Wisdom:
"Be wary of puppy love, it can lead to a dog's life."
- Bob -
7XDB8

19 Posts

September 10th, 2000 14:00

I am about to reformat my hard drive and install a clean version of Windows. What files do I need to copy off my hard drive before I format for ZZTOP to work in the future. Thanks.

77 Posts

September 10th, 2000 17:00

If you are smart enough to FDISK / FORMAT your hard drive and then do a Clean install of MS Windows, install the Drivers and then your Application programs, you won't need ZZTOP. You'll end up with a much cleaner, faster system, than what Dell or any other major manufacturer ships from the factory.

Lanny in Cali, Colombia, South America

11 Posts

September 11th, 2000 01:00

If you can get all that zz-top stuff straightened out ;getting music match is a breeze.Just go to musicmatch.com and download free of charge ..It isn't on any cd that I know of. good luck
No Events found!