Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2005 04:00

Repair - Reinstall --- Now I'm in troouble

Well I tried the repair - reinstall cd and now I am in an never ending loop -  start windows normally, safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mood with command prompt and last known good bootup.  Tried them all. 

My computer will only recognize the cd drive.  I have tried to change the boot sequence in the bios but to no avail.  I do not have a emergency floppy and I am out of options.  Down to my old PC (Old reliable 400).  Any suggestions on this form. 

Thanks Callins

Dimension 4550
Bios Ver A06

Message Edited by Callins on 12-30-2005 12:10 AM

42 Posts

December 30th, 2005 13:00

Trying the whole repair/reinstall again - have been getting this RUNDLL error in C:\program files\mesenger\msgsc.dll  missing entry show icon.   Would this have anythIng to do with my problems.  Didn't think this would bother the repair so I didn't mention it before.

Callins

42 Posts

Is this a cmos/bios problem or is it WinXP problem.  Should I reinstall my biosVer a06 or should I install windows again?

Thanks

Callins

9.4K Posts

If you do a clean install you will lose everything on your hard drive and will have to re-install all the software including and ISP software.  Hopefully you have backups of any important data.

A re-install of the operating system will not effect the boot sequence of the system.  You will have to manually go into the BIOS Setup and change the boot order to the way you want it.  With the re-install of the OS you will have to put the CD drive as the first drive on the list.  You can default the BIOS settings back to the way they were when the system came from the factory if that is of interest. 

42 Posts

Would a clean install force me to reinstall my internet hookup and all my software.  Will the complete install change my bios boot sequence back to floppy, hard drive?

Thanks

Callins

9.4K Posts

@Callins wrote:
Trying the whole repair/reinstall again - have been getting this RUNDLL error in C:\program files\mesenger\msgsc.dll  missing entry show icon.   Would this have anythIng to do with my problems.  Didn't think this would bother the repair so I didn't mention it before.

The Software - Windows XP forum would be the best source for that answer.  I'm a relatively newbie to the world of Windows XP and still use Windows 98SE as my primary OS.  At this point I am not too well versed on all the options available in repairing the XP operating system.  Hopefully someone will give you an answer in the XP forum.

42 Posts

If the bios does not allow me to change the boot sequence now, will the new software install allow me to change the sequence later?

Callins

9.4K Posts

I'm a little confused at which point you are having the problem?  If the BIOS is successfully loaded and the problem starts when Windows is loading then you have a problem with the operating system or maybe with the hard drive on which it is installed.   If the problem occurs as the BIOS is loading then the problem is related to the hardware itself.  Do the diagnostic lights give any error code which may help?  Does the system successfully boot from a bootable CD or bootable floppy drive?  At this point reflashing the BIOS is that last thing I would do.  Since there is always a risk when flashing the BIOS, it shouldn't be done needlessly on a machine that isn't running 100%.

9.4K Posts

I just got around with visiting the Dimension - External Peripheral forum and saw your posting there.  It would appear that all your problems started with the never ending loop when you tried repairing Windows XP.  Given all the problems you are encountering with the USB and now the never ending loop, a clean install of the operating system might be best if no one has an answer to your posting in the Software - Windows XP forum.  

9.4K Posts

December 30th, 2005 14:00

As far as I can tell everything looks good and you should be able change the boot sequence.  When you go into the boot sequence are you able to move any device in the list using the + or - sign after selecting it? 

42 Posts

The software will not have any effect on the boot sequence.   If you can't change the boot sequence it's possible there is a problem with the hard drive.  Are you getting any diagnostic light error codes?  Also if you go into the BIOS Setup is it showing a hard drive listed for the Primary Drive 0 or is it showing an "unknown?"  

Primary drive 0..............................................Hard drive
Hard drive sequence.................................... 1 System bios boot devices
                                                                       2 USB device not installed
Boot sequence.............................................../ diskette drive
                                                                        / hard disk drive C
                                                                        / IDE cd-rom device
Fast boot .......................................................On
IDE hard drive accoustics mode....................BYpass

Hope this helps

Callins

9.4K Posts

The software will not have any effect on the boot sequence.   If you can't change the boot sequence it's possible there is a problem with the hard drive.  Are you getting any diagnostic light error codes?  Also if you go into the BIOS Setup is it showing a hard drive listed for the Primary Drive 0 or is it showing an "unknown?"  

9.4K Posts

December 30th, 2005 15:00

So in otherwords are you able to change the boot sequence so the CD is the first boot drive?

42 Posts

December 30th, 2005 15:00

The boot devices appear to be activated by a check mark.  I can uncheck and check, no problem when I change, save, close and return the changes are there.

Callins

No Events found!