Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 5th, 2013 14:00

Replace Hard Drive in XPS Studio 8100

I was getting an error on my RAID 0 hard disk array that came with my computer.  I backed up the system and purchased a single larger hard disk (2TB) to replace the two separate (750GB) hard disks in the system.  After many struggles I finally restored the computer to the new disk.  One thing I learned was that if you are RAID 0 when you restore the image the new disk will also be RAID 0.  With a single disk I don't really think I need RAID but I don't know if I can convert this to a single disk non-RAID system without a lot of issues to overcome. 

Questions:

1.  Can that be done and what would be the best way to accomplish that? 

2.  Aside from that problem the system seems to be working fine but now my 2TB disk has a big block of unallocated space due to the RAID 0 image being allocated with only 1.5 TB in capacity.  Is it easy to reclaim this unallocated space?  If so what is the best approach?

3.  If I added the non-damaged drive (750GB) into the system will it add to the RAID 0 or will that create even more problems?  I have read somewhere where the two disks should be equal in size.

Any suggestions on best available methods would be appreciated

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 5th, 2013 16:00

Hi TomMyers,

Your controller is running in RAID mode in the BIOS, but that does not mean your hard drive is part of an array. The actual array is set up in the CTRL-i menu. Since you restored an image, you're stuck with the size of the original image, it appears. What you can do is simply partition the remainder of the drive. You cannot add a second drive to create an array without reinstalling, but then you'd be back to the same partition size of 1.5 TB.

The more complicated alternative would be to perform a clean installation of the operating system onto the new drive.

No Events found!