Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

June 10th, 2014 11:00

Replacement Mobo for XPS 730 (not 730X)?

I have an XPS 730 that started locking up intermittently last fall. I diagnosed it six ways from Sunday, and never could get anything definitive -- it ALWAYS passed diagnostics. Then it got to where it wouldn't always boot. I ended up getting a new box (an XPS 8700 from Costco; I was desperate), but hanging on to the 730 (I love the case). My wife's OptiPlex GX520 is really sucking wind, so I thought I'd give fixing the 730 a try, but I don't want to put a lot of cash into it. It's still an older machine, but the Core2 Quad Q9450 in it (not to mention the fact that it HAS a video card) will run circles around her P4 650 (no GPU). For web surfing and watching video, it's more than adequate (the GX520 is starting to shut down more and more often with a "thermal event", so I figure it's near its end-of-life) This morning (first power-up in about 6 months), the 730's mobo stopped on a POST code of 4E ("Initialize APIC and set MTRR"). The next time I powered it on, it stayed up about an hour, till I shut it down. Then I disconnected the boot drive, just to let it get through POST, and it passed the POST 8 times in a row. Then I re-connected the disk, and, on the "Starting Windows" screen, it locked up (as it often did last fall). The next boot worked just fine, and I have every reason to believe it will stay up "for a while" -- I just never know how much of a while I have to work with, and it always seems to lock up at an inopportune moment, just before I'm about to save my data. This is what it was doing last fall when I gave up on it (I HAD to have a working machine, and it would run for anywhere between 5 minutes and 5 days at a time before locking up with no messages). I tried swapping out DIMMS, and the memory all seemed good. I ran RAMEXAM for days, and it never found a problem. Drive diagnostics showed all-good. Given that it DOES occasionally stop during POST with a code on the display, I thought replacing the mobo might breathe some life back into this old box and get me a few more years' use, as long as the mobo wasn't a fortune. The mobo says it's a "UU795" (silkscreened on the component side, near the DIMMs). I found a dealer that says they have a "DELL XPS 730 DESKTOP PC MOTHERBOARD F642F 0F642F CN-0F642F" for $119 (new; I suspect pulled from some units that never sold). I can't reconcile the UU795 and F642F numbers. Is the F642F a true replacement for the UU795? If it IS, then this seems like a cheap way to extend the life of what has otherwise been a great workhorse machine. Any thoughts or suggestions? Please don't tell me to get a new mobo and more modern CPU. I realize I'll be stuck with an older design, that an i7 will run circles around the Q9450, and that I'll be stuck with SATA II, rather than III, disk interfaces (for what it will be used for, that's more than enough) -- I just don't want to spend much more than about $100 on it. The last time I looked for an exact replacement mobo, the cheapest I could find was close to twice that; this seems like it might be the time to grab one. A new (modern) mobo, plus CPU, would probably be $400, and that's simply out of the budget.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 10th, 2014 13:00

ThomasLG

UU795, F642F, 0F642F, CN-0F642F.

Yes, all the above are Dell OEM XPS 730 motherboards.

Bev.

1 Rookie

• 

64 Posts

June 17th, 2014 20:00

O.K., ordered the mobo; it arrived what appeared to be well-packed. Installed it, and now at POST, I get code 0D - "BIOS Checksum Failure". That's as far as it gets. No video, only one beep. Does this mean I got a bad board, or do I need to do something to initialize the new board? According to page 87 of the Dell service manual (ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-730_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf), after everything is re-connected, the next step is "Flash the BIOS as needed". I'm not getting far enough to even SEE the BIOS screen. Arrrrgggghhhh.... HELP!!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 17th, 2014 21:00

ThomasLG

Could be you were shipped a bad motherboard, first you can try replacing the motherboard's battery, this should also reset the BIOS to defaults, to see if this makes a difference.

You need a 3-V CR2032 lithium coin cell, this can be purchased from any Radio Shack, WalMart and most pharmacies.

Bev.

1 Rookie

• 

64 Posts

June 19th, 2014 16:00

The old battery WAS dead (0.28 V; after power-on all night, it rose to 0.44). I popped in a new battery, and I finally have it asking for a system disk. I downloaded a Caldera DR-DOS boot floppy, and copied the Dell BIOS Flash program to it. I finally got it to boot to the floppy, and the Dell BIOS (1.0.6) app is asking for the administrator password. I have no idea, and I've already used the blue jumper to clear CMOS, so it should be gone. Any suggestions? Is there ANOTHER jumper to clear the password?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 19th, 2014 16:00

ThomasLG

When the system asks for the administrator password, try pushing 'Enter' and see what happens.

There is a BIOS feature for 'User' passwords, see page 60 here:

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-730x_Setup%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Bev.

1 Rookie

• 

64 Posts

June 20th, 2014 00:00

I tried assuming the password was null, but just pressing "Enter" does nothing -- you apparently have to enter SOMETHING. I also tried 8 spaces, and that didn't work, either. I tried running XPS730~1 /?, and got the help for the various switches. I haven't tried any of them just yet. Any suggestions there?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 20th, 2014 09:00

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-730x_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

* Power the PC off
* Open the case cover
* Remove the Card Fan but leave it connected to all cabling
* Look for the Master Control board underneath the PCI Card Cage and Front CPU fan assemblies
* Find the I/O board reset jumper
* The jumper is currently on two pins. Move the jumper to the uncovered pin and the center pin
* Power the PC on, then off
* Place the jumper back the original two pins
* Replace the Card Fan
* Replace the cover
* Power the PC on

Jumper 9 on the control panel is the factory reset Jumper.

Security

Allows you to set or change the supervisor password.

Jumper 13 clears CMOS DOES NOT Clear Supervisor Password.

1 Rookie

• 

64 Posts

June 20th, 2014 10:00

Still didn't work, but now I'm even more confused and baffled. You mentioned the Master Control Board. On this system, the MCB is an auxiliary board that controls the system's theater lighting, and other ESA features. I am assuming (for now) that this has nothing to do with the motherboard (the "System Board" in the nomenclature of the Service Manual). Jumper 13 on the "System Board" IS the one that the manual says will reset the CMOS data (and I've tried it several times), but page 105 of the Service Manual ((ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-730_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf) says "Note: This procedure does not clear or reset system or setup passwords". So what DOES? On the MCB, WHAT does Jumper 9 reset to factory settings? I assume that must be lighting settings, but the manual is not clear. It makes no sense that a jumper on an auxiliary board would clear something in CMOS on the motherboard, when there's already a motherboard jumper to do so. I can't get to the security tab to "set or change the supervisor password", because I don't apparently have a valid BIOS installed (I'm at the Award Boot Block" screen, and all it wants to do is boot a floppy to flash from, but I can't flash because of the password issue. It's a chicken-and-the-egg problem.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 20th, 2014 11:00

"I am assuming (for now) that this has nothing to do with the motherboard "  That's a bad assumption.

* Power the PC off
* Open the case cover
* Remove the Card Fan but leave it connected to all cabling
* Look for the Master Control board underneath the PCI Card Cage and Front CPU fan assemblies
* Find the I/O board reset jumper
* The jumper is currently on two pins. Move the jumper to the uncovered pin and the center pin
* Power the PC on, then off
* Place the jumper back the original two pins
* Replace the Card Fan
* Replace the cover
* Power the PC on

Jumper 9 on the control panel is the factory reset Jumper.

1 Rookie

• 

64 Posts

June 20th, 2014 12:00

Well, I decided I could try resetting the MCB's Jumper #9 faster than I could pull the board, ship it cross-country, and wait for a replacement. With a little luck, a hemostat, and the zoom on my cell phone, I was able to move the MCB jumper to cover the OTHER two pins, power up, power down, reset the jumper to cover its ORIGINAL two pins, and then power back up. No change. It's still asking for an Administrator Password with I launch the BIOS program.

1 Rookie

• 

64 Posts

June 20th, 2014 12:00

The company I bought the mobo from is leaning towards my sending it back to them, which is something of a pain. Do you have any particular reason to have confidence that jumper 9 on the MCB will reset EVERYTHING, or are you just going with the documentation's term of "Factory reset"?
No Events found!