Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 1st, 2009 09:00

Replacement Motherboard and cannot turn off manufacturing mode with ALT+F

I have bought a new Dell motherboard  (OCT103) for Dimension E521.

I have received the motherboard, screwed into computer and all works very well. But....

The motherboard was delivered with activated manufacturing mode. Now I have the problem, that the systems stays in manufacturing mode though I have entered the new servicetag number already many times. I have booted my computer many times but there is no chance to boot in normal mode. There always is a message at end of boot, that "system is operating in manufacturing mode. Press ALT+ F to operate in normal mode". Pressing ALT+F at this moment deletes the servicetag in BIOS again and all settings are reset. Is this normal way ?

On Dell homepage I found the information, that I have to boot into BIOS setup and there press ALT+F in main setup to deactivate the manufacturing mode. But when I press these buttons I got a beep, nothing more.

Please can you tell me how to deactivate this mode properly and permanent.

Thanks for an answer

December 19th, 2012 08:00

Hi,

I recently got a renewed machine (inspiron 660s) from dell.

The start-up screen always shows "manufacturing mode", even after I entered the service tag.

I tried many keys to try to switch back to normal mode but did not work out.

Finally, I pressed "Load Defaults" on the Exit Menu and then Exit BIOS setting.

Everything became normal then. A Dell Logo appeared on start-up. (Afterwards of course I can change any settings :)

Hope this help!!

Mario :D

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 1st, 2009 10:00

See THIS for the procedure to turn it off.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

That was the only "Dell" instructions I found.  However, I find some other info (doing a google search):

"Have you tried entering into setup (F2) on boot.
Then Going into The peripherals devices and "turning Off" The PXE-MOF.
Next go to the Boot Devices and remove the "LAN/NIC" boot device.
Then F10 or "save" and Re Boot.
You should be out of Manufacturing Test Set-Up mode.
Dave R.
Motherboard-Tech @ phoenixcomputerlabs. com"

Hallo fireberd,

I know this instruction. But it doesn't work with my computer.

Turning Off the Manufacturing Mode for the System Board
Your replacement system board is shipped with the manufacturing mode turned on. After the
system board is installed, you must turn off the manufacturing mode for your system to operate
correctly. If the manufacturing mode is enabled, the system may not boot correctly. In addition,
changes to BIOS and CMOS settings will not be retained, and you will not be able to flash update
the BIOS.
To turn off the manufacturing mode, perform the following steps:
1 Turn on or restart your system.
2 Press immediately after you see the following message:
= System Setup
3 From the main System Setup screen, press to turn off the manufacturing mode.
4 Review the various System Setup options and change them as necessary to your preferred
system configuration.
For details on the various options, see "Using the System Setup Program" in your User’s
Guide.
5 Press to exit the System Setup program.
Save the changes you have made and exit the program when prompted to do so.
6 As the system reboots, verify that the manufacturing mode is disabled.
If the manufacturing mode is still turned on, the following message appears at the top of the
screen:
Manufacturing Mode is Detected
If this message appears, repeat steps 1 through 5 to disable the manufacturing mode and
restore the System Setup options.

When I press ALT+F in BIOS setup  there is just a beep but nothing changes. At next boot system is in manufacturing mode again.

I don't know what I can do more.

I forgot to post the entry in Asset Tag: "Pass:12/34"

I tried to delete the Asset tag with a DOS boot disk and the command asset.com /d

But there I got an error that operating system prevents changes.

Current BIOS version is 1.1.10

November 1st, 2009 11:00

Thank you for your answer.

I was full of hope that this will help. But it doesn't work. The only difference is that the system doesn't try to start with a network drive. But there is the same message as before: "System is running in Manufacturing mode. Press ALT+F to reboot in normal mode".

Is there a general problem with my motherboard ?

When I choose F12 at startup and then choose the harddisk, Windows Vista starts without problems.

I tried further to reset the bios with the jumper set to CTRST. But there is no difference when I set the jumper or reboot with ALT+F. All settings are resetted and I have to enter the servicetag number.

November 1st, 2009 23:00

Does anybody else has another idea to solve this problem ?

Thanks for an answer.

2.8K Posts

November 2nd, 2009 11:00

silverfox0501,
It doesn't sound like your system's service tag has been properly added to the BIOS of the replacement motherboard using the asset tag utility. That may be why you can't get it out of manufacturing mode. It's also possible the CMOS battery on the replacement board is on its way out and that's why the settings aren't being retained.

November 2nd, 2009 14:00

Thanks for your answer.

But I don´t think it´s the battery, because it should be 3V and it has 2,96V. So I think it´s ok.

There must be another problem on the board.

November 3rd, 2009 06:00

I tried all with a new battery, but same problems like before.

Who can give me another tip or trick to solve the problem ?

2.8K Posts

November 3rd, 2009 10:00

What version of Asset Tag did you use?

November 3rd, 2009 11:00

Hallo,

I used asset.com in version 2.09. Is there a newer one ?

I made bootdisk from original dell file R109071.exe. There is version 2.09 included.

I tried so many things until now but nothing worked.

I removed battery for many minutes, I resetted via jumper PSWD or CTRST, I pressed ALT+F in BIOS setup,....

2.8K Posts

November 4th, 2009 12:00

Glad to hear you were able to resolve the problem. I was still a step or two away from suggesting you re-flash/update the system BIOS. FYI there's no newer version of Asset Tag than 2.09 listed on Dell's FTP site.

November 4th, 2009 12:00

HURRA, I could solve the problem !!!!!

The problem was the BIOS version 1.1.10 !!!!!

In another forum someone posted that he has problems with BIOS 1.1.10 when he was updating his CPU. He reported that BIOS always lost the settings. When he updated to version 1.1.11 the problems have gone. So I thought maybe that is similiar to my problem.

I booted my system with pressing F12 and then chose bootable harddisk. My system booted from harddisk to Microsoft Vista.

Within Vista I did a BIOS update to version 1.1.11.

After reboot the system said that no floppy is found. I changed settings and rebooted.

HURRA all is working now.

Many thanks to all who tried to help me.

I hope my thread will help many other users who have the same problem.

One thing I must say to support of DELL. I am really disappointed with your support.You didn´t want to help me because I bought the motherboard not at DELL. You are right. But I bought a replacement motherboard produced for DELL and so you earned money too. Why wouldn´t you help customers when they use your products ? In my opinion it is the same buying a DELL motherboard in your store or somewhere else. But hey, it is a DELL merchandise. So I would expect that DELL give me support. Finally I bought a DELL computer and that is the reason why I need a new DELL motherboard.

I hope that I found the right words.

Greetings from Germany

1 Message

October 17th, 2016 20:00

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this old post, Mario.  After everything I tried, I wondered if it was that simple.  So, I went back into the BIOS and pressed "F9" to load the defaults (what did I have to lose?) and PRESTO, everything worked as it should!  Thanks again!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 17th, 2016 22:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.

No Events found!