Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 24th, 2016 13:00

Replacing XPS 8500 motherboard

Hi, I'd like to make several upgrades to my XPS 8500 including replacing the original motherboard with an Asus H110M-A. However, I notice that the connectors for the front panel connected to the case itself is a block as opposed to individual connectors. Is it possible to connect this to the new motherboard or will I have to buy a new case?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 24th, 2016 14:00

You're going to need a new case and power supply -- essentially you're building a new system.  There's little you can re-use from an XPS 8500 -- including the copy of WIndows (that's tied to the Dell mainboard) -- so be sure you budget for a new Windows license to go with whatever upgraded you're planning.  

December 24th, 2016 14:00

That's a real pain but I certainly understand why I'd need to replace the case. I've never seen a block front connector anywhere else. Why would I need to replace the PSU though?

Thanks for the very prompt response, regardless.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 24th, 2016 15:00

You're going to quickly find that the Dell power supply has cables just long enough to work with the Dell chassis - it's likely you'll find they're too short to cover the ground in any new case you buy.  Further, why build a brand-new house on an old foundation?  It makes sense to start with a new platform -- and not have to worry about the cabling and about the potential for less than reliable performance from a 4+ year old power supply.

December 24th, 2016 15:00

Those are some very good points for which few I had considered before buying a new PSU conveniently in advance of the upgrades.

Thank you very much again for such quick and well-informed answering. Merry Christmas!

No Events found!