Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2011 18:00

Request to Dell: Please upgrade video driver

I have an SX280 with the Intel 82915G/GV/901GL Express Chipset Family, and I attempted to connect it to my 1080p television using a VGA cable.  I used the latest drivers available from the Dell site.

The maximum resolution I could select was 1920 x 1200, and 1920 x 1080 was not an option.

I checked the Intel site, and the chipset can support 1920 x 1080, so I downloaded the latest Intel video driver for that chipset - but it would not install because the current driver had been modified by the supplier (Dell).

I resolved the problem for myself by using an HDMI cable, and 1920 x 1080 was then available as an option (and 1920 x 1200 was no longer available).  However, the forums indicate that I am not the only person trying to select 1920 x 1080 with the aging Dell drivers and a VGA cable.

The driver really should support 1920 x 1080, especially as it currently supports a higher resolution - 1920 x 1200, and given the increasing number of people using older Dells as media boxes attached to TVs, and expecting the output to fit neatly on their screen.

So, Dell, would you please upgrade the 82915G/GV/901GL Express Chipset Family drivers so that they support 1920 x 1080 for VGA cables?  Users would really appreciate it.

If there's a better way to request the upgrade, please let me know - or copy this request to it.

Regards

James

Canberra, Australia

February 23rd, 2011 13:00

This is a copy of the reply I posted to my initial thread on the subject.

Well, just to close this thread, I give up.

I tried to send a query to Dell about updating the driver, but they only accept emails if the machine is currently under warranty.  I couldn't find any other way of asking about it.

If you're searching for a way to get 1920 x 1080 output over a VGA cable, tough.  There's no means to get a request to Dell to update the driver, and you can't use the latest Intel chipset drivers becaue they won't install on the Dell.  Spend a couple of bucks and get an HDMI cable, and a DVI to HDMI adapter.

Freakmarket, it's a shame that we can't even load the latest (but old) Intel drivers.  We're all stuck with the really outdated Dell drivers.

I hope there are enough key words here so that others searching for the answer find it.

Thanks to all who replied. 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 18th, 2011 19:00

You might try Powerstrip, which enables custom video resolutions.

February 18th, 2011 20:00

Or they could use an HDMI cable.  Agreed.

But there will be others who don't know about Powerstrip, and don't have a spare HDMI connection on their TV (or a spare cable). And shouldn't have to.

I have identified the underlying problem and requested that it is resolved. All the rest are workarounds for an old driver which isn't up to Dell standards, especially as Intel has a more recent driver.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 18th, 2011 22:00

The content providers have wanted to phase out HD analog for a long time now, and they may have pressured Dell into removing that resolution on purpose.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 19th, 2011 03:00

Your request for a video upgrade will fall on deaf ears.  In most cases, Dell only upgrades drivers if the device does not meet their published specs.  There are a few upgrades to take advantage of new hardware but otherwise there are very few updates. 

The SX280 would appear to be an old, discontinued model, as Dell only lists DOS, Win 2000 and Windows XP drivers.  That would be a very good indication there there will never be any new drivers issued.  Keep in mind Dell is in the business of selling new computers.  I have a much newer Dimension E510 which is also a discontinued line that has Vista drivers but there will never be any new drivers issued for that.

Finally, also keep in mind this is a users helping users forum and we are not Dell employees.

February 19th, 2011 12:00

Thanks Fireberd.

I understand that you are not Dell employees, but I had hoped that Dell employees might read the posts occasionally and treat them as an unofficial entry into their review processes.

I asked how I could request a driver upgrade in another post, but did not get a reply.  The only option seemed to be to start a separate thread.

I'm running XP, and it does a good job as a media box OS, especially teamed up with the SX280.

Owners can't install the latest Intel drivers because the install package recognises that Dell have modified the underlying chipset drivers, so the only option is a Dell driver. 

I've run across issues like this a fair few times and I've found that the suppliers do respond.  Not all the time, but enough to make it worth asking.

What is the correct way to ask Dell to update the driver?

Thanks

James

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 19th, 2011 14:00

I don't know the "correct" way but it's not through this forum.  As I noted, being an "old" 2004 era discontinued model PC you are going up against a wall.  Dell drops driver update support for older models.  As noted there is no incentive for Dell to perpetuate older model PC's with old technology hardware as they want to sell you a new PC with new current technology hardware.  I do PC support and deal with all brands of PC's and other PC vendors are basically the same way with older hardware and some are even worse than Dell with driver support.

270 Posts

February 19th, 2011 22:00

i noticed the several post ... i had to do a search to find specs on that model Dell ... its really cool that a computer that old is still running and that you have found a modern use for it ... but to support it this far down the road isn't practical for intel or dell. 

14.4K Posts

February 23rd, 2011 17:00

Just an FYI on Intel drivers. They will not install on any OEM boards. The drivers are for intel boards only. I have even confirmed this on a brand new system. Intel only provides the base code to OEM's who then will tweek the driver to their needs. I do believe there is also a statement to this affect on the Intel site.

2 Posts

March 29th, 2011 11:00

I have been following this thread and thank you all for the information. I did purchase a dvi to hdmi cable.  I was not able to change the 1920 * 1200 to 1920 * 1080.

I am using a rebuilt D610 with docking station.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

April 6th, 2011 15:00

I have a D410 laptop and docking station, so I tried it.

When I connect to my 1920 x 1200 LCD screen, I am only offered 1920 x 1200.  1920 x 1080 is not available.

When I connect to my 1920 x 1080 LCD TV, I am only offered 1920 x 1080.

Conclusion:  My suggestion is to plug it into a 1920 x 1080 LCD TV and see what happens.  If you're already trying to connect to an LCD TV, check the specs for its screen resolution.

Good luck

James

2 Posts

April 6th, 2011 18:00

I did find that  a newer version of the Intel video driver will support 1920 X 1080. But I can't install the driver.  Dell will not allow the driver to run.   I guess I am going to have to retire an old laptop.

Thanks

Bill

April 6th, 2011 20:00

Bill

My Dell laptop is old, and its drivers support 1920 x 1080 - but only if plugged into a 1920 x 1080 monitor or TV via HDMI/DVI.  Please check the maximum resolution of your monitor or TV.  If it's 1920 x 1080, it should work (or at least it did with mine).  If the maximum is 1920 x 1200 you won't be offered the option of 1920 x 1080 (or at least it did not with mine).

If it doesn't work, please reply with the maximum resolution of your screen.

No Events found!