Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 1st, 2016 21:00

Reset clear set cmos bios board jumpers?

I was given a not working 390. The previous owner's 'friend' tried to fix it and might have moved some jumpers. Reading the manual and searching dell site I cant determine were the jumpers should be. I want to know that they are in the proper positions. Is this info available? I found this (www.dell.com/.../SLN284985), but section two totally confuses me. It sounds like the jumper is being moved from the PSWD connector to the RTCRST connector, without saying which of the 3 pins to connect. However, the picture below shows both connectors having jumpers. Note that I already reset the bios by removing the battery. So, that is not what Im trying to do here.

tks,

paul

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 4th, 2016 08:00

The jumpers should be on pins 2-3. 1-2 is to reset. The pictures show them on pins 2-3.

18 Posts

May 4th, 2016 19:00

thanks. why does that link say differently?

I just noticed another (3rd )jumper, and its pins on the board say MECLR

pa

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 5th, 2016 06:00

Because that article is generic for all desktops and laptops. It is not specific to your model. I do not see a reference to MECLR in the documents. So you should not move it.

18 Posts

May 5th, 2016 07:00

thank you, i appreciate your help. However, there is nothing generic about incorrect instructions. Many dell computers have different jumper instructions in their specific operation manuals. This computer does not have instruction in it's manual. Those instructions in that dell kb are worded badly and simply incorrect. I posted this same question to about 6 different computer forums and I got so many different replies that I lost count. I also opened up a dell chat and the person that I chatted with at dell obviously did not know. When I pointed out the error in her instructions, she then gave me conflicting instructions, not once, but 3 times. I asked her to elevate this question to tech support, which she ignored. I saved that chat, if anyone at dell would like to look at it. She obviously was not trained. Likewise that dell KB needs to be revised/corrected.

paul

No Events found!