Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 25th, 2015 09:00

SEAGATE hard drive problems - can DELL provide HD reliability comparrisons from their reported problems?

Would like to see some DELL statistics on their computer hard drive drive problems reported by faithful DELL Customers.   Would like to see some hard drive statistics broken down by computer type, quantity of service calls for each and how old and what hard drive was in play.  I would also like the Customer to have the option of picking what vendor brand of hard drive they want in their system.  Having purchased 2 DELL XPS 8500 computers in recent times, I seem to be having issues with the SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2000GB hard drives in each computer.  I had to reinstall Windows and all software products on both computers once already due to strange HD issue which was originally thought to be a software problem of some kind.  Today I am now still in recovery mode of rebuilding my DELL XPS 8500 from scratch after having the SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2000GB hard drive replaced after it also just stopped being able tio be booted up.  Now i feel both of my DELL XPS 8500 systems are on borrowed time, taking backups all the time to a non-seagate external drive.  So, before my next computer(s) purchases, can i get some kind of report from DELL showing me hard drive reliability statistics based on DELL's service calls???.      

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 25th, 2015 09:00

There isn't any vendor that will be willing to provide this.  There are only 3 makers of hard drives in the world and seagate is 1. Back when computers used vacuum tubes drives were warrantied for 5 years.

Now its 1 year unless you extend the warranty to 2 or 3.

Toshiba, Western Digital, Seagate.

February 25th, 2015 16:00

I understand WHY HD vendors will not give out this information but a company like DELL should be collectiing this information and using it to their advantage FOR THEIR CUSTMERS...what I mean is if DELL finds it has a lot of tech support hours being burnt up on rebuilding windows caused by bad HD problems, it should be to their advantage to switch to a better hard drive in their PCs.   It might be related to only desktop or only laptop or what have you, but i bet they spend hours of people time at their end and days of unhappy Customers at our end resolving issues related to one particular hard disk vs another.  naybe they already do this, i do not know, but i as a Customer would like to know what hard drive in certain PC configurations are less reliable over others and give me the option of spending more money for a better performing drive as per their current tech support records...(i hope i am making my case clear....just trying to save DELL money while keeping their Customers happy.  only my opinion.)

ng . 

No Events found!