Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 21st, 2010 14:00

STUDIO XPS8100 (i5-750) POWER ISSUES

I just recevied (2/19/10) my Studio XPS 8100 I5-750 etc... and have power issues already.  Booted fine the first time but will not boot upon shutdown unless I disconnect all power, let it sit for about 2-5 minutes to ensure all residue power is gone.  (Reminds me of the gateway power supply/MOB problem).  Dell tech worked with me for close to 2 hours before they decided I might have MOB problem and are dispatching to site.  To be safe I have tried 5 different outlets (surge and no surge) in different locations but same symptons.   Has anyone seen or aware of any power supply/MOB issues?

Thanks - Snagle

39 Posts

February 21st, 2010 17:00

No idea about how to address or solve this one. I'm no tech.   What I do know is that you have *21 days* from the date of invoice (not delivery) to request a replacement system (if you feel this is necessary).  It would be wise, since this is a brand new system, to ask for, in writing, that this "replacement" system have the same 21 days for testing & that it not be a refurb.

My first computer had major problems but my replacement has been fine so far so I'm happy.  Work with tech support (hopefully Tier 2) as long as possible but keep your eye on the 3 week return deadline

FWIW, mine was NOT an 8100  but an 8000.  My replacement 8100 works fine so far..

5 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 09:00

Hi and thanks - you got me thinking about the "refurb" so I called back and found they were sending the tech refurb parts but I had the option since I was within the "21" days to request a new complete system same or better to be shipped.  That was a no brainer, they are expediting a new one (3 days). 

Thanks again

Snagle

39 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 11:00

Hi again, Snagle.  Glad you decided to check up on the refurb business.  I do hope you'll be more fortunate than I was with the "expedited" replacement.   My "expedited" system replacement took a good month to arrive.

Check on the status of your replacement on a daily basis.  Mine was not listed for a while, then it was N/A for time of delivery until it had actually shipped.  This is not said to frighten you but merely to ensure than your expectations are realistic.

Again, I'm happy I returned my consistently problem-ridden computer & I'm pleased with the replacement which was not the same but indeed, as promised, better than my original.  Then again, I think I paid for all of this with the hours upon hours spent online with the customer & tech personnel.  You were spared this - you should be happy!

No Events found!