Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2011 11:00

SYSTEM ENDS MONITOR VIEW ON IT'S OWN

MY DIMENSION DM051 WITHOUT WARNING DROPS THE ACTIVE MONITOR CHANGING IT TO STANDBY WITH NO CAUSE. IM RUNNING MS XP AND A DELL 1905 MONITOR. THERE IS NO ERROR MESSAGES OR WARNINGS AND NO BEEPS FROM THE PC. HARDWARE DIOGNOSTICS PASSED ALL SECTIONS. COMPLETE VIRUS SCAN WITH NORTON PROVIDED THROUGH THE COMCAST BROADBAND CONNECTION RAN CLEAN. AUTOMATIC UPDATES HAVE CONTINOUSLY BEEN IN PLACE. I UPGRADED MEMORY LAST YEAR AND THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM ON THE DRIVE.

THE LAST FEW TIMES IT DROPPED THE PC ACTUALLY REBOOTED ON IT'S OWN WITHOUT ANY INTERVENTION WITHIN ABOUT A MINUITE. PREVIOUSLY THE PC WOULD SOUND LIKE IT WAS STILL ACTIVE BUT NOTHING OCCURED AND I WOULD HAVE TO DO A HARD SHUTDOWN SINCE THERE WAS NOTHING TO VIEW. I HAVE DISCONNECTED, CLEANED AND RECONNECTED. I HAVE CHECKED FOR DRIVER UPDATES AND INSTALLED A FEW. THIS PROBLEM HAS OCCURED WITHIN TEN MINUTES OF NORMAL BOOT AND OPERATION, AS WELL AS AFTER HOURS OF FULL BLOWN MULTI-TASKING. HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED ANYTHING SIMILAR AND IF SO WHAT WAS THE CAUSE AND SOLUTION? THANKS, JOE

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 5th, 2011 12:00

First, please post the actual PC model number, rather than the internal "DM" number.  It makes it easier for those of us that try to help users as we don't have to go look at some cross reference to see what model it actually is.   Doing a google search it could be a Dimension 5150 or Dimension E510. 

Second, please do not use all capitals, it's considered shouting and harder to read. 

If it is a Dimension 5150 or E510, run a complete hardware diagnostic test.  You can access the Diagnostics by F12 at POST (Power on Self Test).  Most Dell's in the era of the 5150/E510 have this (My E510 has this).   You say you have "cleaned and reconnected", exactly what have you done?  did you "reseat" (unplug then plug back in) internal connectors and any plug in cards such as a video card or memory?  With it rebooting on it's own, that could indicate a hardware device problem, so see if the diagnostics turn up anything.

We have had a lot of problems with the power supply in the 5150/E510 but usually when the power supply fails the front panel power indicator lamp will flash amber.

No Events found!